Answered

connect TV to ceiling speakers

• 4 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi Guys

i have installed ceiling speakers and an amp in my ceiling space of closed in patio. 
we use it for airplay streaming and it works perfectly. Just wondering the best way to connect the TV in that area to those speakers as we didn’t run a HDMI from the TV

have read people have purchased a Sonos soundbar and connected to a TV and then the soundbar and amp/ceiling speakers connect wirelessly. 

would like to check this is correct and if so can we purchase any sound bar or is there only specific ones this will work with

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 April 2023, 12:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Are you attempting to create a surround system in the patio?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SamuelG 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Yes - a Sonos Home Theatre device such as Ray, Beam or Arc can connect to your TV via HDMI, and wirelessly to your existing Amp so that the in-Ceiling speakers become surround speakers for your chosen Sonos soundbar.

Please note, however, that none of the devices mentioned above are designed for outside use - including the Amp, which must be within 5GHz WiFi range of the soundbar (or the soundbar and Amp must both be connected to the network via ethernet).

I hope this helps.

To clarify on the configuration above….is an amp necessary?  Or can a Sonos Ray connected to a TV and two Sonos ceiling speakers work without an amp?  What is the purpose of the amp?  (My system is interior, not on a patio)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos (by Sonance) ceiling speakers are passive speakers. They need amplification that only an Amp will provide.