• 13 February 2024
  • 5 replies

how to connect the Port to existing pre-amp and outboard separate DAC

icon

Best answer by Bumper 13 February 2024, 15:07

View original

5 replies

Badge

The convenience of volume control on the Port from your phone/device is a good way to get over the psychological need for more boxes ime 😀

You can have that convenience WITH more boxes downstream of the Port! In my case I am at a stage in life where lesser the boxes the better. I have passed through the more boxes phase, so I am no one to criticise it.

Guys please provide some input here. I have a Prep and power amp. The port is sandwiched in-between the pre and power with my powered sub getting its signal from y connectors on the port output. Here is my thing. I have thought about outputting the ports digital out to my Pre amps built in DAC but I do not see the point as in the current set up I can use all post pre amp sources (CD/Tuner/Turntable) on the line in of the port and thereby be able to stream everything to the rest of my Sonos ecosystem. IF I stick with this configuration I have been using both pre amp and Sonos to adjust the volume. I find it works better (for fine tuning) if I share the volume control between the pre and port however the simpler way if I am of the understanding would be to have the port be the sole source of volume control. If I do that I still need to set the pre amp volume to 0 db (rated output)? Or am I better off just setting port to pass through (unless I am streaming directly from it)? A little long winded sorry. Thoughts

The convenience of volume control on the Port from your phone/device is a good way to get over the psychological need for more boxes ime 😀

You can have that convenience WITH more boxes downstream of the Port! In my case I am at a stage in life where lesser the boxes the better. I have passed through the more boxes phase, so I am no one to criticise it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Also note that if all you need is streamed music from the port and one other source connected to the line in jacks on the port, the preamp/DAC become redundant except psychologically as more boxes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Port>digital out> DAC>Analog Out> Analog input on preamp.