Connect - LINE-OUT low volume since update S1 app

• 8 November 2020
  • 68 replies

Show first post

68 replies

Badge

One of my clients is having the same issue with two of their 5 Sonos Connects. The client also believes the Connects exhibited this “Nearly Non Existing Volume Issue” after an update. 

It appears that this issue affects the analog audio out jacks on the Connect. 

You can boost the volume of any amplifier to 100%, turn up the Connect players volume to 100% or Fixed and you will barely hear the distorted audio.

The solution that worked for me was utilizing either the Optical or Digital Coax output.

My clients setup utilizes a dedicated multi-channel amp for multiple rooms an it does not have digital inputs. If your amp does not have digital inputs you will need a digital to analog converter to complete the connection.

I spent time talking to Sonos tech support on the phone. Sent them diagnostics which showed no errors. Tech support basically had no other solutions to offer than power off and reset nor would they admit any knowledge of this problem. 

Has there been any resolution to this, one of my connects doing the same thing from last week. Very low volume and tinny sound

Badge

I too just discovered this issue started on my ZP90 (Connect) unit within the past week. I’m not aware of any more recent update being done since I was last working at v11.2.4. My Optical Audio output works normally but my Analog unbalanced audio out is very faint and at maximum or “fixed” setting its volume was faint but very distorted too. I rebooted my connect several times; tried on different audio systems with different cabling with no success.
Finally, I performed multiple factory resets and got it rejoined to my Sonos group again and it seems the analog audio outputs play at the correct volume (using variable output setting). I’ll continue to monitor the system and see if this crops up again…. maybe it’s duration based, maybe temperature?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Have you performed the steps recommended in this thread? If after doing all the steps and the issue is not resolved, it would be best to contact our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Has anyone figured out an answer to this problem yet? I have the exact same issue with a connect ZP80 but multiple factory resets have made no difference. 

Thanks.

As a follow-up to my post from a few days ago, I was able to try an optical cable, and that output signal works perfectly as reported by others on this thread. Since that is sufficient in my application, I am giving up trying to understand the RCA low line levels output problem.

I talked to a support tech once who made me go through another factory reset (after sending diagnostics and having some kind of live monitoring) and also had me connect a passive speaker to the line out RCA. It was far too weak to make any sound at all without an amplifier. With an amp I could only hear anything very faintly if the amp was jacked up to full volume. Anyway, I wasn’t getting anywhere, so I gave up and went the optical cable route since the only other option appeared to be getting a replacement device. The person I spoke to also did not seem to know that others have had the same thing happen.

One other note - I also did the test where I used a pair of RCA cables to loop back from the output to the input, then play music on the faulty device, and then use the faulty device’s line in from another working device. Same behavior except now the faint sound was coming from the working device turned right up.

The fact that so many people have had what seems to be the exact same issue leads me to suspect a software bug, so perhaps a future update will eliminate this fault. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The fact that so many people have had what seems to be the exact same issue leads me to suspect a software bug, so perhaps a future update will eliminate this fault. 

Just as a datapoint, I’m not seeing this issue on any of my 3 Connects, using their analog outputs and running S1 v11.2.9 firmware.

Sound like this might be a hardware issue with the line level output stage?

I count six occurrences in this thread to date and there are others if you google. It might be a common hardware failure, but... Reports indicate that it has affected both ZP80s and 90s. Also, there was the post earlier in this thread that indicated someone had trouble with 2 of 5 connects after an update. 

I also have three other connects that don't have a problem on 11.2.6 (build 57587010)

Just as a datapoint, I’m not seeing this issue on any of my 3 Connects, using their analog outputs and running S1 v11.2.9 firmware.

Ditto with two Connects. This isn't a software issue.

I disagree. Just because most upgraded Connects still work fine post upgrade that is not particularly compelling evidence there is not a subtle bug that affects a small percentage, especially given this thread is evidence of a cluster of devices (manufactured a different times) in recent months with the exact same failing condition. At this point, I believe it at least as likely to be a software rather than a hardware issue.  That is until someone takes a couple of fault units to pieces and traces the signal loss to a common failing component.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am having this exact same problem with my connect. It has actually happened twice now, I just updated today and it got worse. On my amp I have to set volume at 70 to have roughly the same output as I previously got at 60, and prior to a previous update it was 50. 

I am having this exact same problem with my connect. It has actually happened twice now, I just updated today and it got worse. On my amp I have to set volume at 70 to have roughly the same output as I previously got at 60, and prior to a previous update it was 50. 

What’s the ‘source level’ set to in the Connect’s room settings?

Userlevel 1
Badge

What’s the ‘source level’ set to in the Connect’s room settings?

I don’t have any Line In attached, so no source level. In faint grey text it does refer to Airplay and Level 4, but Line In is “Disconnected”. Line Out is set to Fixed. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

To be clear, I am referring to a non-Sonos amp connected to the line out of my Connect via RCA. I have had the volume drop occur two times now, both times after an update. 

To be clear, I am referring to a non-Sonos amp connected to the line out of my Connect via RCA. I have had the volume drop occur two times now, both times after an update. 

Ah thanks, I (mistakenly) assumed you were referring to playing a line-in source on the Connect. Sorry about that.🙏

Userlevel 1
Badge

Tried a reset but doesn’t seem to have fixed the issue. Surely Sonos need to take a look given there is a decent volume of people experiencing this?

Sonos support.

Has this been fixed yet? As I tried again yesterday to connect my ZP80 and got low volume out of the analogue output jacks.

Diagnostic number 626753146

Userlevel 1
Badge

They just seem to be ignoring this issue

I’ve got trouble with same issue. it made me crazy.

Is there anyone who sorted out the problem? it made me really annoyed. :angry:  

whenever I tried to change the line out level from variable to pass-through, it reverted to variable and Volume level is very low...

Userlevel 1
Badge

whenever I tried to change the line out level from variable to pass-through, it reverted to variable and Volume level is very low...

Not me. I ended up getting an amp for other reasons but am really frustrated by this issue on the Connect and I was tempted not to buy an amp because of it. I don’t understand why the Sonos team are just ignoring this issue from long term loyal customers. 

Not me. I ended up getting an amp for other reasons but am really frustrated by this issue on the Connect and I was tempted not to buy an amp because of it. I don’t understand why the Sonos team are just ignoring this issue from long term loyal customers. 

I have a dedicated amplifier though it is a serious problem to old Sonos customers.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I fully agree. I have parked my old amp because of this, purely because I listen less now. It’s a real shame and makes me annoyed at Sonos. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi

I have been a Sonos user for many years and had my existing core system in place for 9 years.  

Part of this system is a Connect that I use the line-out from to feed into another system.  This has always worked fine, but since the recent S1 app update, the volume of the line-out has dropped to virtually nothing.

It has always been set to “Fixed” and operated perfectly.

Now in the second system even with the volume in the second system set to max it is barely audible.    The only change is the App.

Ive connect a second device to the Line-OUT and this too has very low volume, so its not the secondary equipment.

I have to say over the years I have become more and more frustrated with the Sonos updates and the delays in the various fixes that these usually cause.  You have pushed me into the S1 sub culture now - how long is this going to resolve ?

The Sonos products consist of this connect, 4 connect:amps, a Play:1 and a ONE.

The external device is an old Living Control (that to be honest has been much more stable than the Sonos) and a blackstar mini amp that I performed the second test on.

The connect has the following details:-

Sonos OS: S1
Version: 11.2.3 (build 57381090)
Hardware Version: 1.16.5.5-2.0
Series ID: P100

My PC controller is v11.2.3, S1 OS, Build 57381090
my App is v 11.2.3   Build 57381090

I haven't been able to play my Connect for at least a year with low volume, drop outs, and inability to group the Connect with my other Sonos players. Someone suggested bypassing the analog RCA outputs, and so I  did. SUCCESS!!

A Digital to Analog converter (from Amazon or other online store) using the Optical output of the Sonos Connect plugged into the optical input of the DA converter, and then the RCA wires plugged into the analog outputs of the DA converter.

Hope this works for all out there with a faulty Sonos1 Connect analog output.  No issues  with volume, variable setting, or grouping any longer. 

Badge

I am having the same very frustrating issue.  After spending hours on the phone with Sonos support after I installed my Port, they said they’d not heard of this issue before and suggested the product was defective out of the box.  After over 2 months of frustration in getting my warranty replacement, I received the new product yesterday which has the EXACT same issue.  The volume is sufficient and and equal with all the other outputs on my amp if I select “fixed” vs “variable” but if I wanted to manually adjust the volume on my amp every time, I don’t know why I would have purchased the Port in the first place.  The whole point is because it’s automated. It’s not acceptable that Sonos just chimes in with a link to how variable vs fixed works, instead of actually addressing that there is an issue. :triumph:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You own a Port? Reading other people’s post they own (much older) Connects……