Connect - LINE-OUT low volume since update S1 app

• 8 November 2020
  • 67 replies

Badge

Hi

I have been a Sonos user for many years and had my existing core system in place for 9 years.  

Part of this system is a Connect that I use the line-out from to feed into another system.  This has always worked fine, but since the recent S1 app update, the volume of the line-out has dropped to virtually nothing.

It has always been set to “Fixed” and operated perfectly.

Now in the second system even with the volume in the second system set to max it is barely audible.    The only change is the App.

Ive connect a second device to the Line-OUT and this too has very low volume, so its not the secondary equipment.

I have to say over the years I have become more and more frustrated with the Sonos updates and the delays in the various fixes that these usually cause.  You have pushed me into the S1 sub culture now - how long is this going to resolve ?

The Sonos products consist of this connect, 4 connect:amps, a Play:1 and a ONE.

The external device is an old Living Control (that to be honest has been much more stable than the Sonos) and a blackstar mini amp that I performed the second test on.

The connect has the following details:-

Sonos OS: S1
Version: 11.2.3 (build 57381090)
Hardware Version: 1.16.5.5-2.0
Series ID: P100

My PC controller is v11.2.3, S1 OS, Build 57381090
my App is v 11.2.3   Build 57381090

67 replies

Lots of good details, but I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of duplicating this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the number here.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

Badge

Thanks for reply.  Are you real or an Answer bot please ?

Problem is persistent.

Diagnostics - submitted - 1445311186

I think I’m real...but I do use copy/pasted responses due to the need for so many issues that need basically the same response. 

And I’d think a bot would require a ‘Sonos employee’ badge of some type. I’ve never seen Sonos use such a technology, likely due to the complexity of interpreting the data in a diagnostic versus the problem reported. Not impossible, I think, but they’ve never expended the effort, as least to my knowledge. 

Badge

Great - thanks have submitted the diagnostics as requested

Hopefully, a Sonos rep will be along to look at it.

Badge

Any reply please Sonos ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Any reply please Sonos ?

You need to post the actual diagnostic number here for Support to have a look.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Airgetlam and @controlav, thank you for your usual assistance. We really appreciate it. 

@LJ2018, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for providing us your concern and submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking the report, it's telling me that the diagnostic was incomplete and not returning any information about your system. However, I can see that all your speakers are online.

Can you please submit another diagnostic? You can also try to submit from another mobile device/controller and include the confirmation numbers in your response for us to check. 

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

Any reply please Sonos ?

You need to post the actual diagnostic number here for Support to have a look.

I did above:- 1445311186

Badge

Have done it again.  

Sonos Diagonstic number:  786276586

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LJ2018, thank you for your response and for submitting another diagnostic for us to check. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, there's no line-in connection on your Sonos Connect and the ethernet cable is potentially faulty. This could be one of the reasons why you're not getting audio. Also, an audio dropout was detected in your due to sync error and the audio feed is too slow causing the playback to stop.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you.

1. Power off your Sonos Connect.
    • Disconnect the left and right speakers and line-in connection. 
    • Wait for at least 30 minutes.
    • Reconnect all the connections and power it back on.
    • Start playback to test the audio.
  2. Check the volume.
    • Depending on your Line-Out Level setting, you may need to adjust the volume in both the Sonos app and on your receiver
    • If you have your Line-Out Level set to Fixed, you will need to adjust the volume on the receiver or device that you have connected to Port or Connect.
    • If the Line-Out Level is set to Variable or Pass-Through, try adjusting the volume on both the receiver and in the Sonos app. 
  3. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 11
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.

If you're still not getting audio from your connect, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform further troubleshooting to provide the best option for you.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Badge

Apologies.  The I was at work and not at home and the audio stream was inactive.  Completely my error I was trying to speed things along.

Ive replicated the error and submitted more diagnostics.  Confirmation Number 1010030269

That said I have read your above comments.  It is so frustrating when you blame the hardware, when the hardware has been in place for 9 years, was working and the only change has been an app update !

I also stated there is a sound feed but it is very faint.

Ive also stated above the Volume is set to fixed and has been since install, setting it to pass thru results in the same extremely low volume.

Ive connected another device to the second system (replacing the sonos element) and it performs as it should with the correct volume.  So the fault is definitely with the sonos connect.

The connect is currently unplugged for the 30 mins as suggested above - it does not have speakers attached, only 2 network cables and the line-out are in use)

Please review the new diagnostics.  1010030269

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LJ2018, thank you for your response and for submitting another diagnostic. We appreciate you for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. Let me help you with this.

The troubleshooting steps we provided depending on the error we found in the diagnostic report. Looking at the latest diagnostic, I still see the same errors and some of your speakers (2 Play 1's and 1 Connect Amp) don't have a connection to our Sonos cloud server. I would still recommend performing the steps we provided in this thread since the issue was not resolved. To address the cloud connection of your speakers, you can perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. 

We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent in resolving this issue, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting with your full network setup including the make and model of each device and to do some tests on the Sonos app to isolate the issue to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Badge

I have plugged Connect back in after 45 mins, no change to volume - still very faint. Now some intermittent crackling.

Further diagnostics  - 1449653583

Is there a reference number I should supply to Customer care ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LJ2018, thank you for your performing the steps provided and for submitting another diagnostic. Upon checking, the no cloud connection to Sonos server has been cleared but the previous errors, are still showing the report. Please try other music sources to test the audio. If you will encounter the same, do reach out to our Sonos Customer Care support to further assist you with this. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

Please !  I appreciate your are trying to help me, but it so frustrating when you dont read what I have actually posted.

Ive tested the output of the Sonos into another source,  It has the same volume issue. There is a stream but at max vol it is barely audible,

I have tested the secondary system with a different input and that works fine..

The only change is the App. 

Could you confirm the other errors you see please ?

There is no line-in connection thats why you dont see one !

The connections to the connect are :-  2 network cables and the line-out and the power lead.

The only other thing I see its a potential fault with a network cable ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @LJ2018, thank you for your response. Your frustration is completely understandable. We really appreciate your patience working on this.

The last diagnostic report that you sent us, aside from faulty ethernet cable, it detected an audio dropout was detected in your due to sync error and the audio feed is too slow causing the playback to stop. These are network-related issue.

Please try the following steps to isolate the issue. 

1. Try to play music directly from the other source (not through the Sonos app) like from a CD player to test audio quality.
  2. If the audio level is still the same, try different RCA cables to test.
  3. If there's no improvement with the audio, the next step is to factory reset your Sonos Connect. 
    • After factory reset, your Connect will give you a flashing green light. It means it's ready to be setup.
    • Re-add your Connect back to your system by following the steps on the Sonos app.
    • Once you have successfully added your Connect, test the audio quality.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit another diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

Bump

Badge

Ive reset the the Connect.  Still very low volume.
I have already checked (as per above) the feed to the sonos Connect and the the output from the second device.

The sonos plays very low on a secondary amp also

New Diagnostics sent:   605369986.

AT  16.15 I tried to phone the support line.

You advertise the hours as Monday to Friday 9am til 5pm.

OMG !  SUPPORT IS NOW CLOSED !

The only change on this is the App ! The low volume occurred immediately after an app and system update.

The network is fine, the device producing the feed is fine.
Ive factory reset the connect as requested.

Now what ?  I usually work Monday to Friday, my bad for expecting you to keep the hours you advertise.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LJ2018, thank you for your response and for sharing your feedback. My apologies for the inconvenience. Our phone support operations hours are from 9 am till 5 pm GMT, from Mondays thru Fridays.

Based on the diagnostic, I’m still seeing the same error messages. We referred you to contact our phone support team to check what’s going on with your Connect. We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, it's best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process.  Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

I am having the exact same issue.  I have a 2 different Connects that both worked for 10 years and now I can only get very faint volume out of each of these systems.  I will be watching this string for updates.

Badge

Hi @LJ2018, thank you for your response and for sharing your feedback. My apologies for the inconvenience. Our phone support operations hours are from 9 am till 5 pm GMT, from Mondays thru Fridays.

Based on the diagnostic, I’m still seeing the same error messages. We referred you to contact our phone support team to check what’s going on with your Connect. We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, it's best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process.  Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you.

DID YOU READ MY COMPLAINT.  I TRIED TO CALL AT 4.15 AND YOUR SUPPORT WAS CLOSED DESPITE YOU SAYING IT CLOSES AT 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHY ?

AND NOW OTHER USERS ARE SHOWING THE SAME ISSUES WITH YOUR HARDWARE !

ALSO WHY DOIESNT THIS QUESTION APPEAR WHEN YOU TYPE “LINE-OUT”  IN THE FORUM SEARCH ?

Same exact issue here - is Sonos fixing this?

Honestly this is unacceptable.

I am not going to upgrade to the new S2 connect if this is the intent.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. If you’re still experiencing the same issue with your Sonos devices after performing the steps recommended in this thread, I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Our phone support team is closed during weekends, please see operations hours below:

US customers - Monday through Friday, 10 am - 7 pm EST. 
UK customers - Monday through Friday, 9 am - 5 pm GMT.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.