Answered

Connect Gen 2 no Sound / extremely weak volume

Since upgrading to the S2 app, my Gen 2 Connect Amp is not working properly.  I have it connected to a Yamaha Receiver via an RCA plug.  There is a signal going to the receiver as I can hear music playing softy on the receiver but only when the receiver is dialed to extreme volumes (near max).  I have tried different RCA plugs and different receiver inputs (Audio 4, 5, and Phono) all with the same result.  Customer service says everything looks to be working from the trouble shooting codes.  Any ideas?

BTW, when I reset the connect to see if it would work on the S1 app, the S1 app keeps directing me to use the S2 app and doesnt give me an option to use it.  Not sure if there is a work around for that...

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 November 2022, 23:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hi. I assume you mean a Connect, not a Connect:Amp?

This has absolutely nothing to do with S1 vs S2.  Please do yourself a favour and stop trying to reset the Connect back to S1.

You may have clashing volume controls.  If the Connect is set to Variable output, change it to Fixed.

Thanks - It is just a connect and it is set on fixed.  Still no change if I change it to pass thru or variable.

What audio source are you playing on the ‘Connect’? If it’s a line-in source, then try setting the source level to a much higher value, 8, 9, or 10 in the ’Connect’ room settings in the App.

Line-In is disconnected.  Just using sonos app as my audio source, connected via rca to receiver to play the music.  Pretty simple setup, just can’t figure out why it is no longer working.

I assume you’ve tried a different RCA cable? - Next, maybe try a different audio source device into the same line-in port on the Yamaha Receiver and see if that may show if the Receiver is/isn’t the issue, particularly as Sonos Support appear to be saying the ‘Connect’ seems to be okay.

Line-In is disconnected.  Just using sonos app as my audio source, connected via rca to receiver to play the music.  Pretty simple setup, just can’t figure out why it is no longer working.

You cannot use the Sonos app as a music source because it neither stores nor plays music  Do you mean you are using 'on this mobile device' to play music stored on your phone?

If so, why is it xonnected by RCA to the receiver and how does that involve the Connect? 

I’ve swapped RCA cables and I’ve tested the receiver’s inputs and they all work.  I think I’m going to have to buy a new connect or port.

I’ve swapped RCA cables and I’ve tested the receiver’s inputs and they all work.  I think I’m going to have to buy a new connect or port.

OK. But your description of your connections makes  no sense to me.

OK. But your description of your connections makes  no sense to me.

I ‘think’ the OP is saying he is playing an audio source from within the Sonos App - such as Spotify/Sonos Radio etc; and merely outputting it to the ‘Connect’ (Room), which has its line-out linked to the Yamaha Receiver input & speakers - He’s checked/changed the RCA cable between the ‘Connect’ line-out & the Receiver input and also tried different inputs on that Receiver too. The inputs apparently work with other (non stated) audio source devices, just not the ‘Connect’, whether it’s set to ‘fixed’ or ‘variable’ volume-out and the OP only hears low volume audio when the Receiver volume control is set to a high/max setting. It was all working at some point, up until he upgraded to the S2 software.. which really should be irrelevant in this instance. It seems pointless to go through the S2/S1 downgrade process, I think.

Anyhow, assuming that’s all correct, it does sound like an issue with the Connect perhaps?, although Sonos Support says everything seems to appear okay in the data seen at their end.. so it’s really quite an unusual issue.

At least thats how I’ve understood the posts here so far.

I suggest maybe trying the ‘Connects’ digital coax/toslink audio-output, that’s if the Yamaha Receiver supports that digital connection and perhaps see if that works, rather than spending money at this stage… or even try ‘another’ factory reset of the ‘Connect’… nothing ventured etc.

The Connect isn't connected to the phono input on the receiver?

Ken_Griffiths, Thank you!  I was hesitant (for no real reason) to try coax or digital but I found an extra coax wire and it works like a champ.  I guess the RCA output on the connect physically went bad since there are no fault codes showing up.  I really appreciate your inputs.