Answered

Connect:Amp ZP120: Spotify Connect pauses and restarts

• 8 October 2023
  • 6 replies

I have a Connect Amp (ZP120) for a few months now. Basically works very well, very happy with it.

But...Spotify Connect falters about once or twice an hour on average. Stops playing and continues where it left off after about 5 to 10 seconds, in the middle of the song
Quite irritating. I read that I'm not the only one and I think I followed the tips from elsewhere. Removed Spotify as a service and re-installed it. As it happens during songs, it can't be Spotify-ads (I'm using Spotify Premium).

Switching the network connection from wired to WiFi makes no difference either. No problem with all other connections to the same network.
What else can I do to resolve this problem? Internet radio and playing my own content on my NAS work without any problems. Spotify from the Sonos S1 app also seems to work well, but is a lot less practical and user-friendly then the Spotify Connect.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything that could lead to an improvement/solution. Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 10 October 2023, 10:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mikekiwi 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The next time you hear an interruption, please submit a support diagnosticI recommend you then get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports. If you don’t mind waiting, you can also post the given number here and I’ll take a look for you, but real-time troubleshooting over the phone generally goes better.

Please note that if you post a diagnostic number here, you may get censored by the spam filter that thinks you are posting a phone number - if this happens, don’t worry or repost as we’ll spot it and restore the post the next working day at the latest.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll send a report if the issue occurs again and will mention the diagnostic number here.

Have a nice day!

I've submitted two reports, one during the intermittence, one a few seconds later when music restarted playing again, place the codes as an image to avoid the spam filter

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mikekiwi 

Thanks for the diagnostics. It appears your Connect:AMP is having problems with playing Spotify - this can happen with some of our older products as they run out of internal resources. There are some mitigation steps that can be taken, but as they generally consist of getting other products to perform certain tasks, these are not available to you on your one unit system. You also already have Crossfade disabled, which is another mitigation step (if your Spotify app has Crossfade enabled, please disable it) and have tried ethernet without success.

Therefore, I can only suggest that you avoid using Spotify, iHeart Radio or NRK Radio from now on, with that particular unit, or replace the unit with a more modern alternative (an Amp); Spotify seems to be one of the more difficult services for these affected units to play. As you have only just obtained your Connect:AMP, I have to assume this is the reason it’s previous owner sold it in the first place.

However, if playback is more reliable when using the Sonos app rather than the Spotify app, I recommend you do so, though I rather suspect you will find it behaves roughly the same once you use it more often.

If you have an old phone/tablet that has a 3.5mm headphone jack, you could connect it to the Line-in of your Connect:AMP and use it as a Spotify source in the meantime, though this will mean you’d have to go to that device to change/control the music in any way. You’d need a stereo RCA to stereo 3.5mm stereo jack cable to do so.

I hope this helps, though I realise it’s not the answer you were looking for.

Thanks a lot for the extensive reply. Indeed not what I hoped for, but was prepared for something like this. 

Crossfading on our apps was already disabled, so I think the only solution is on the hardware side and we're going to evaluate the options.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

This is this issue if you want to participate https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/sonos-is-forcing-people-to-buy-new-hardware-as-they-ve-broken-the-connect-amp-and-they-refuse-to-fix-it-6888610/index3.html?postid=16698137#post16698137