Answered

Connect:AMP keeps cutting out...all components hardwired

• 11 January 2024
  • 47 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve noticed others with the same problem...so I anticipate the answer may be obsolescence (planned or otherwise), but looking for official support here if possible.

All components have been hardwired and in place for over 5 years (except for the newer connect models, which replaced older connect:amps not supported by S2.

The Diag file number is 2005163756.

Many thanks if someone could review the diagnostics and LMK.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 January 2024, 17:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

S1 devices, and S1 capable devices are the oldest devices in the Sonos stable, and would be the most susceptible to failing memory issues. That doesn’t mean memory can’t fail on S2 devices, only that they are newer and consequently less susceptible at this point. 

It would depend on the device, and how much memory has gone ‘bad’, as to the impact it may feel between S1 or S2. It’s possible that any device may fail due to memory issues, even if running the smaller S1 operating system. Electronics are not eternal, especially memory modules. 

I don’t think anyone here expects eternal; they just want mortal to be more than 5 years, given the price points. Which is a fair ask, in my book, especially when the build quality of the rest of the hardware is understood.

Userlevel 2
Badge

FWIW, and I hate to risk a jinx, the update that applied yesterday appears to have entirely resolved my issues.  It’s still playing without skipping a beat.  Before the update, and after a hard power cycle, the device would operate only for a few minutes before the intermittent play issues began again.

YMMV; Something happened.  Would be nice to have a detailed explanation that someone smarter than I could summarize, but in the meantime I am pleased with a functioning device.

@Corry P 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @Corry P (and others who might be interested):

Submitted a new diagnostic file.  Number is 1643948809. Maybe you can compare the two diagnostics and this might help some other users?

Also further system info pasted below in case that might assist.

Associated Product: 192.168
---------------------------------
Sonos Arc: Back Porch
Serial Number: **************
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.11 (build 76249050)
Hardware Version: 1.27.1.11-1.2
Series ID: A102
IP Address: 192.168
Audio In: 
WM: 0
Sonos Amp: Back Porch (LS+RS)
Hardware Version: 1.24.1.14-1.2
Series ID: A104
Audio In: 
Sonos Amp: Cabana
Audio In: 
Connect:Amp: Deck And Garage
Hardware Version: 1.17.3.1-1.0
Series ID: C100
OTP: 1.1.1(1-17-3-2.1)
Sonos Amp: Kitchen
Audio In: 
Sonos Arc: Living Room
Hardware Version: 1.27.1.11-1.2
Series ID: A102
Audio In: 
Sonos Amp: Living Room (LS+RS)
Audio In: 
Sonos Amp: Master Bedroom
Audio In: 
Connect:Amp: Office And Dining
Hardware Version: 1.17.3.1-1.0
Series ID: C100
IP Address: 192.168.
OTP: 1.1.1(1-17-3-2.1)
Beam: Office Soundbar
Hardware Version: 1.35.1.7-1.2
Series ID: A200
Audio In: 
Port: Pool
Hardware Version: 1.29.1.7-1.2
Series ID: A100
Sub: Sub
Hardware Version: 1.32.1.4-1.1
Series ID: A200

Moderator edit: removed serial numbers from post

YMMV; Something happened. 

And if I have understood the preceding posts by Corry, it was not supposed to. But, gift horses come to mind!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gerald Harmon 

The Service Pack released on the 24th Jan only contained security fixes, so I have no idea (well, one - see below) why you don’t hear any more interruptions on your Connect:AMP. I was thinking the same as @Kumar, however:

But, gift horses come to mind!

I looked at the diagnostics you sent and I see no evidence of the errors I was seeing before. I do rather suspect that they will come back though, but I will be happy (and a little confused) to be proved wrong.

I don’t see any commands for the Connect:AMP to play, however - did you test playback with it as part of a group? I don’t see it grouped in the diagnostic, but you may have disbanded the group before submission. Testing in a group may have made a positive difference if previous testing was done in “Deck And Garage” alone, or with “Deck And Garage” being the first listed in the group (and thus in charge of the entire group), as it will have been doing less “work” as a secondary member of a group.

Uh, by the way, the diagnostics contain all the system info you posted, and much more besides. We recommend that you do not share serial numbers on the community as they can be used as identifying information when calling in to our support team.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Corry P yeah sorry was just trying to be helpful.  perfectly fine to remove all of that from my post if it streamlines.

with that said, i was trying before (as suggested) to never let the C:A devices “take the lead” on any playback.  both now and before, letting a newer device take the lead then adding a C:A device to the group.  working now….wasn’t then.  agree with the gift horse, but still seems very coincidental that an update applied and I have better functionality than before over quite a long test period.

FWIW, i use the desktop app (Windows) as well as iOS, and I used the desktop app to update.  I use the desktop app most mornings, as part of a routine, and when I see the “Update” option, I generally go ahead and apply.  The option wasn’t there last week….

PS can’t believe the Company hasn’t replied to my tweet yet.  I tried!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gerald Harmon 

@Corry P yeah sorry was just trying to be helpful.  perfectly fine to remove all of that from my post if it streamlines.

Hey - no problemo! I appreciate the attempt at assistance - it’s just that serial numbers are best kept private. Ironically, you censored your local IP addresses which don’t tell anyone a thing - the majority of all local IP addresses are very similar (my gateway address, for example, is 192.168.0.1 - likely the same as yours, which doesn’t really tell anyone anything). The other common range is 10.0.0.x.

with that said, i was trying before (as suggested) to never let the C:A devices “take the lead” on any playback.  both now and before, letting a newer device take the lead then adding a C:A device to the group.  working now….wasn’t then.  agree with the gift horse, but still seems very coincidental that an update applied and I have better functionality than before over quite a long test period.

I won’t argue that it’s weird, that’s for sure! I hate to be a naysayer, but I think further testing will produce the same errors again.

FWIW, i use the desktop app (Windows) as well as iOS, and I used the desktop app to update.  I use the desktop app most mornings, as part of a routine, and when I see the “Update” option, I generally go ahead and apply.  The option wasn’t there last week….

The Sonos app is like a remote control - it just sends your commands to speakers, and reports back what they want to tell you. It’s the speakers themselves that handle the update process (see the Associated Product at the top of your system info? - that’s the unit that will be relaying commands from the app to the system, and it can change each time you open the app as it’s just the first product to respond to the app asking “is there anybody there?”).

I believe the update availability is somewhat staggered so as to avoid flooding our servers with simultaneous updates from every system - that may be why you didn’t see the update until recently.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi Corry

its clear that this is now firmly on Sonos’s radar and that something is in the works.

you did hint elsewhere that each users mileage may vary.  This is a little worrying, and I’m just wondering if Sonos consider the C:Amps as viable products or end of life?  In short, will the fix — fix?  Or only for the lucky ones ? 

thanks

andrew 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Andrew-s 

I appreciate that you want to find out more, but I really don’t have that information, nor do I personally know enough about it to guess (not that I would share a guess publicly).

There is an update coming very soon - I recommend waiting for it and seeing how things go then.

Please remember that I did point out that you were probably off-topic for this thread - that means that whatever I say here doesn’t really apply to your situation.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Andrew-s 

I appreciate that you want to find out more, but I really don’t have that information, nor do I personally know enough about it to guess (not that I would share a guess publicly).

There is an update coming very soon - I recommend waiting for it and seeing how things go then.

Please remember that I did point out that you were probably off-topic for this thread - that means that whatever I say here doesn’t really apply to your situation.

I hope this helps.

Perhaps you should send a service update to owners or pop up in this website to let them know a fix is coming so people hold off dumping their faulty units that may be a fixed by a firmware update. 

Perhaps you should send a service update to owners or pop up in this website to let them know a fix is coming so people hold off dumping their faulty units that may be a fixed by a firmware update. 

Good suggestion if taken on board!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @Gerald Harmon 

the majority of all local IP addresses are very similar (my gateway address, for example, is 192.168.0.1 - likely the same as yours, which doesn’t really tell anyone anything). The other common range is 10.0.0.x.

What? No love for the 172.16.0.0 /12 range?

It is really a good option as almost no (none I have seen) consumer devices default to the 172 range on reset so it reduces the chances of conflicting devices / networks.

Hi @Gerald Harmon 

the majority of all local IP addresses are very similar (my gateway address, for example, is 192.168.0.1 - likely the same as yours, which doesn’t really tell anyone anything). The other common range is 10.0.0.x.

It is really a good option as almost no (none I have seen) consumer devices default to the 172 range on reset so it reduces the chances of conflicting devices / networks.

Virgin Media an ISP in the U.K. do not allow a user to change the subnet range on their latest routers, it’s fixed to 192.168.0.XXX - users can change the last octet for DHCP allocation, but that’s about all - I just use their device as a modem and have my own router, but it seems like ISP’s here, do not want users to tinker too much with the settings - it’s all becoming quite restrictive. It probably reduces support training and calls into their support system, I guess?

Even DHCP reservation is limited to 16 devices only on their new WiFi 6AX router. 

T-Mobile’s 5G internet solution here in the states doesn’t allow reserved IP addresses, either. My guess is they think it is too dangerous to allow folks to muck around. My guess is there is a small number of folks who actually know what they are doing, and they don’t want to deal with the unwashed masses. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d be lost without a fully functional router and WiFi system, on the other hand some are really hard for a geezer that only touches them a couple times a month to use. I went through quite a few before settling on pfSense running on a small PC and later a dedicated device as a happy medium.

I was overjoyed to see the offer of Fiber here came with the option of their router, their router in Bridge mode or just direct to my router.

For some folks I know a power button and a hidden factory-reset button are a bit beyond their skill level so I understand the “dumb it down” push too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stanley_4 

None whatsoever - mostly because I always forget the numbers and range.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update:  Still working well.  Fascinating turn of events.  Happy to have working units again.

Hi @Gerald Harmon 

the majority of all local IP addresses are very similar (my gateway address, for example, is 192.168.0.1 - likely the same as yours, which doesn’ really tell anyone anything). The other common range is 10.0.0.x.

I seem to remember some early APPLE Airports in this range.

Userlevel 2
Badge

still working flawlessly. some acknowledgement of what occurred would be appropriate, IMO.  No knock on @Corry P, but someone at Sonos knows what happened and how it was resolved….

still working flawlessly. some acknowledgement of what occurred would be appropriate, IMO.  

If nothing else, to give you the confidence to stay on the s2 upgrades wagon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gerald Harmon 

I should have some info to share on that soon - probably next week. 

I am glad to hear that your speakers are now performing better, though! Good News!