Question

Connect:Amp as Surround.

I’m trying to add a connect amp as surround speakers, with Amp as main speakers - but when getting error message ‘two compatible Sonos speakers are required’. There is no option to add the connect amp.  Using Sonos 2 app 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @richardboston.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

This link might help you to set up Connect:Amp as surround speakers.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks Mark.  I read this before and unfortunately it is no help.  When I select Add Surround there is just no option to chose Connect Amp.  It just gives me an error saying  ‘two compatible Sonos speakers are required’. Cheers, Richard 

How are you making the wired connection between Arc and C:A?

Which Sonos device(s) is/are wired to your network?

I assume the C:A is already added to your system?

Hi John.  
both devices connected to router 

several other modern devices connected to router as well

yes C:A is already added to the system 

Did a similar setup in a different room a while ago with no issue  

thanks, Richard 

John, the way I read the original post was that the attempt was to be using a CONNECT:AMP to drive surrounds with the Sonos Amp as the front device, not the Sonos Arc.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen that mentioned as a supported configuration, I’ve only seen it when used with a sound bar as the ‘front’ device. 

I wonder if the ‘similar setup’ was with a sound bar. 

Pure speculation on my part here, though. 

Hey Bruce. Exactly the same setup in the other room. Amp as front device and connect:amp for rear. Worked fine straight up and setup straightforward.  This time it is not working despite multiple attempts and resets. 

Sorry - misread Amp as Arc, but no difference in principle I think.

Have you tried different cables?  Not likely to be the issue but it wouldn’t be the first time hours of troubleshooting ended with a faulty cable or router port.

Does the error message stop you going ahead regardless?  There have been past instances of older devices being missed off the description, but if you just select any type of device and carry on it works.  That may well not be the case here, but I thought worth mentioning.

Just one final thought, then I’ll do my best not to juggle John’s elbow, but I’d also be tempted to reboot the router. I’m thinking it may be an issue in the DHCP table and potentially free IP addresses, which might get cleaned up by a reload of the router’s firmware. 

Back to John’s assistance now....

Just one final thought, then I’ll do my best not to juggle John’s elbow, but I’d also be tempted to reboot the router. I’m thinking it may be an issue in the DHCP table and potentially free IP addresses, which might get cleaned up by a reload of the router’s firmware. 

Back to John’s assistance now....

Definitely worth trying, and something I seem prone to forget about in the ‘surrounds won’t add’ scenario.  Thanks Bruce.

To me, it’s an odd corner case possibility. But I do like eliminating the possibility by reloading other software on the router. In fact, sometimes, when I remember to, I also suggest an update of the router’s software, which, if there is one, forces that router refresh. It’s all about eliminating variables, as much as possible :)

Badge

Hi, any update on whether rebooting the router worked for the OP? I have a similar issue: Connect:AMP has been used to power surrounds on a Playbar for about two years, from S1 through the S2 upgrade. As of a few days ago the app reported an error; I rebooted my whole Sonos system, and now cannot re-add the surrounds. Like the OP I am not even given the option. 

I fear a bad software update or a secret phasing out of support. 

Rather than depending on posts in a forum, you may get more timely assistance if you were to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

Badge

Rather than depending on posts in a forum, you may get more timely assistance if you were to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

I’ll certainly try. Often the experience of people in a similar situation is the best kind of technical support. Plus the multiple warnings of long wait times to contact Sonos Support aren’t exactly encouraging.