CD player with sonos connect without wifi.

• 17 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I am trying to figure out if it if possible to play CDs on my Kenwood DP-1520 CD player using the Sonos Connect (gen2) without using WiFi. I have the Arc, Sub, and two ones and have managed to get it to work using the wifi, but I am wondering if it’s possible to do it without wifi. I currently use my existing system without wifi when watching movies and tv and it works fine, I just can’t get it to work with the CD player and the Connect. Any help is appreciated. 

2 replies

You could wire all the devices back to your router with Ethernet cable. 

It’s a secondary method, but should work fine.

Not sure why you would want to do this, you’ve spent a bunch of money on a ‘wireless’ system. 

If you’re using those Ones as surrounds with your Arc, you’re using a ‘hidden’ WiFi connection between the Arc and the Ones. As well as one for the Sub. 

I currently use my existing system without wifi when watching movies and tv and it works fine, I just can’t get it to work with the CD player and the Connect. Any help is appreciated. 

Before answering the latter, how to the former?!

But this should work, even if your router/internet is missing: Using the router based WiFi, set up line in on the Connect to autoplay to one unit in the target group of Sonos speakers, selecting grouped units there as well. Thereafter, whenever the Connect gets a signal from the wired in CD player, music should play on Sonos units even if the router is not turned on. Wifi will still be used, but this will be a local to Sonos island network.