Answered

Can't listen to two pairs of stereo paired speakers at the same time

• 12 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Issue: I can not listen to two pairs of stereo paired speakers at the same time (one in the bedroom and one in the living room).

I purchased my first pair of One SL speakers on 12/01 and got a second pair a few days later on 12/11.

First let me say that the One SL as a stereo pair sounds amazing! That is also why this issue is so frustrating. According to the Sonos app on my Galaxy S9+ running Android 10, I have “Living room” and “Main Bedroom” as my speaker target options. Like I have mentioned, I have a pair of One SLs in each room. I have created stereo pairs with both. But this only works if I listen in one room or the other. If I try to select both rooms, I lose stereo pairing in one of the rooms. In some cases, despite what the animated equalizer icon indicates, I lose playback in one of the rooms entirely.

If I deselect one of the two rooms, three things tend to happen: 1) Playback resumes (if I lost it) in the remaining room selected 2) whatever track I was listening to starts over and 3) stereo pairing once again operates. 

Just listen to music in the bedroom? Stereo works. Just listen in the living room? Stereo works. Try to select both rooms (or pairs of speakers) and my issue occurs. What. The. Heck? I thought Sonos was a pioneer in multi-room, multi-speaker playback. That was sort of its whole shtick from the start. 

I did a factory reset on all for speakers. 

I used the default list to name my rooms or my speakers or my speaker’s rooms (Sonos needs to do a better job with this aspect of its system. How about a name for the speaker then place that speaker in a room in the house like you do with most smarthome items).

I removed and added and removed and added stereo pairing

I grouped and ungrouped

I am at my wits end here. I really do not want to return my 2nd set of speakers but I only purchased them for the stereo feature. If I want mono speakers, I’ll just keep using the many Google Home speakers I already own. 

In case this could be related to my home network here are the details:

My home Internet and wireless network are very stable and fast. ISP: Comcast with 250 Mbps download (consistent); Router: 1st generation Google Wifi with one additional access point. Main access point is in the living room (with one pair of speakers). Mesh/secondary access point is in the bedroom with my other set of Sonos speakers. I had no problems adding the SL’s to my phone app and my home network. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 February 2021, 16:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

How are you trying to group your speakers?

Get something playing to your Living Room. Then in the System tab, select Living Room. Tap the group icon and select Main Bedroom and Done. What errors occur? What happens?

I rebooted my home network. Then I deleted all groups. Then I gave each speaker a unique name (two from the default list and two that I made up). Then I successfully created a stereo pair in the bedroom. Played music and stereo was working in the bedroom (used to the EQ balance slider to be sure).

Then I added the two living room speakers (not pair yet) to playback. Now music was playing on all four speaker (in stereo in the bedroom, isolated, simultaneous playback in the living room).

Then I successfully created a stereo pair in the living room. 

Went back to the bedroom, NO SOUND from the right speaker at all. I long pressed the play/pause icon on top of the SL One. White LED flashed, then went amber then, boom, stereo in the bedroom AND the living room. 

This was never about creating speaker groups but getting two different pairs of SL Ones to both work in stereo. I mean what is the point of having a pair in a room if not for stereo playback right? Thanks for responding though.

Exactly the same problem here. Started after 8 months, no changes to system. Looks like a common issue with sonos based on posts, I'm surprised there's no solution. Have about 12 speakers from Costco but considering returning due to ongoing issues. Best when it works but constant issues. 

Well as you will see  from my post count, I spend an unhealthy amount of time on here and I haven't noticed this as a particular issue. Sonos has 10 million plus households, so I don't think a few posts on a forum that is designed for dealing with problems suggests something needs to be fixed.

If you would care to describe your issues then there will be people on here willing to try to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gusound2020 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Mesh systems typically backhaul (talk from node to node) over the 5GHz network band which has limited range. Please try relocating the secondary Google Mesh node to a midpoint between the 1st node and the 2nd node’s current position. This should improve talk between them and allow the increase in bandwidth needed for grouping rooms. I also recommend you always choose the Sonos room closest to the 1st Google node first, and add the other room to it - this reduces the hops needed for music from whichever source you use to reach the 4 speakers. If your ISP router still broadcasts WiFi, keep it at least 1m (3 feet) from the 1st Google node to minimise interference.

You could instead permanently connect one speaker or a Sonos Boost via ethernet to the first Google node - this makes Sonos create it’s own mesh on 2.4 GHz (higher range than 5GHz) which may help matters too.

**OG POST SOLVED!**

This issue has been solved. Can’t remember what I did exactly. I did not change anything in my home network or buy new equipment. That was unnecessary. I think I just removed everything and set everything back up from scratch. I have two functioning stereo pairs now. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Glad to hear it @Gusound2020! If the problem ever comes back, getting in touch with our technical support team will be a good idea - the diagnostics from your system can help us identify networking issues.