Answered

Can I pair two Ports as a stereo pair?

• 31 May 2023
  • 5 replies

I happen to have some Meridian DSP digital loudspeakers that use a coaxial digital input. If I can use two Ports combined as a stereo pair then I can connect these speakers accordingly and not need to wire them to each other.

icon

Best answer by buzz 31 May 2023, 14:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You cannot build a stereo pair, similar to the speakers, where both PORT’s become a single Room, but you could Group the PORTS and connect only one channel to each PORT.

Thanks, @buzz.

What is the format of the audio that comes out of the digital output? Is it stereo? I can configure the speakers themselves to use left or right channels (plus center, l surround, and r surround). Then I could, as you say, use two ports as a room group rather than an actual pair and configure the speakers accordingly. Yes?

Thanks, @buzz.

What is the format of the audio that comes out of the digital output? Is it stereo? I can configure the speakers themselves to use left or right channels (plus center, l surround, and r surround). Then I could, as you say, use two ports as a room group rather than an actual pair and configure the speakers accordingly. Yes?

It is stereo.  You can’t use ports for a surrounds sound setup if that’s what you’re going for.  Note that if you do this setup, each port would have it’s on volume control.  You can have them play the same volume, but it won’t be automatic like a typical stereo pair.  

Note that there is a 75ms latency between Line-In and output from a PORT, or any other SONOS player. This would thwart any attempt to use this arrangement in a surround system.

Thanks, all. I don’t want to use this for surround sound. I just happen to have all of these speakers. I thought I’d get some ports and make them into glorified boomboxes haha.