Skip to main content
Answered

Bridge update issues

A minor question: in applying the latest update to my twelve unit S1 system, I ran into a problem that was resolved once a bridge was powered off per Sonos troubleshooting advice, which also recommends permanently deleting the bridge. I managed to get all units updated by some further antics, and now all - including both bridges - are on the latest S1 version. Why though is the bridge in such disfavour? I find that my bridge units, one of which is also the root bridge, work fine and serve a purpose...and when they don’t if hardware fails, I won’t complain. But till then?

Apparently the Bridge power supplies tend to get flaky, resulting in hard-to-diagnose, intermittent problems. Could be solved by buying a new PSU of the required spec.

I also vaguely recollect that the Bridge only supports an older version of SonosNet. I don’t know the details.

However, if yours are trouble free, you might as well continue to enjoy them.

I plan to do that; just wondering why Sonos puts bridge users through hoops for updates.

I’d agree with @pwt, the newer BOOST device apparently supports faster throughput. The way I think of it is SonosNet v1 is 2.4Ghz speeds, and SonosNet V2 is 5Ghz speeds, although that conflates, I think, the idea of separate network channels, which I believe is incorrect.

It’s also been said that the antenna and electronics built in to the BOOST are better at rejecting some forms of network interference.

And to date, I’ve seen no issues with the power supply as I’ve seen on some BRIDGEs. I think the BOOST came out after they stopped giving out many of the BRIDGEs for free, with the purchase of a speaker. 

SonosNet V2 is 5Ghz speeds

Er...not quite. SonosNet 2.0 has a single-hop throughput of around 12Mbps. 

I did caveat that with ‘I think of it as’….

Just for a real comparison, do you happen to know what the SonosNet v1 throughput is? or is the difference between the two only in power supply and interference rejection?

My question to @Corry P : Why does Sonos try its best to put roadblocks in the way of Bridge unit upgrades in S1? Sonos FAQ instructed me to delete the Bridge to complete a stalled upgrade, and to then keep it deleted. I know some workarounds that allowed me to still do what I wanted to, but why make it difficult?

My two units still work fine towards a purpose, hence the question.

Hi @Kumar 

My question to @Corry P : Why does Sonos try its best to put roadblocks in the way of Bridge unit upgrades in S1? Sonos FAQ instructed me to delete the Bridge to complete a stalled upgrade, and to then keep it deleted. I know some workarounds that allowed me to still do what I wanted to, but why make it difficult?

My two units still work fine towards a purpose, hence the question.

Upgrades, or updates? I presume update as Bridge cannot be upgraded, in which case I wasn’t aware that we are doing any such thing. If the app detects a problem with an update and you have a Bridge, it’s probably just suggesting removal of the Bridge as a possible and recommended alternative for connection that may help the process.

The Bridge is an old unit, and we’ve determined that in most cases, WiFi routers - which have improved significantly over the last few years - will produce better results. Therefore, we recommend that you no longer use Bridges. 

The Bridge and Boost are good for bypassing WiFi settings, but any modern, wired Sonos product would serve better than a Bridge due to the Bridge’s limited antennae and radio.

For people who already have them, and they work - sure, no harm in keeping it that way. For anyone who doesn’t have one, there are better options. In fact, every option is better, assuming settings can be optimised.

I did caveat that with ‘I think of it as’….

Just for a real comparison, do you happen to know what the SonosNet v1 throughput is? or is the difference between the two only in power supply and interference rejection?

I don’t think throughput changed. V2 has better range and interference resilience, particularly with the latest radios.

Hi @Kumar 

Upgrades, or updates? I presume update as Bridge cannot be upgraded, in which case I wasn’t aware that we are doing any such thing. If the app detects a problem with an update and you have a Bridge, it’s probably just suggesting removal of the Bridge as a possible and recommended alternative for connection that may help the process.

Whatever 11.2.9 did - I don't know the semantic difference between update and upgrade. Sonos isn't just suggesting an alternative process, it is suggesting a permanent deletion of a bridge that is working fine, and I find that objectionable.

Hi @Kumar

Upgrade is getting a discount voucher for a new product. Update is software updates, including S1 to S2.

The system is suggesting removal of the Bridge as a possible fix to a failed system update - is it therefore still “working fine”? Admittedly, other things could stop the update, but the Bridge does have it’s limitations, and comes from a time when routers were not as good as they are now.

Considering that we now no longer consider SonosNet a preference, but simply an alternative, and that the Bridge is one of weakest ways available of transmitting SonosNet, they just aren’t the advantageous devices they once were. Quite the opposite, in fact, and especially for larger systems.

You may consider whatever suits you, but some of us are still able to live our lives with old equipment, including in my case, a 2011 Apple router. For people such as I, has Sonos net suddenly become obsolete to the extent it is no longer a preferred set up? I refuse to accept this blanket statement.

And the Sonos impugned bridge is presently working fine updated to 11.2.9. Just because the system update applied in the way it usually works failed, does not necessarily mean there is a problem with the bridge.

And fyi, the bridge is now working fine in a 12 units 6 zone system. In 11.2.9.

Life isn't just about selling the latest greatest kit.

Looking way back: 

The Boost uses SonosNet v2.0 while the Bridge is using SonosNet v1.0

SonosNet 2.0 integrated MIMO on 802.11n hardware versus G on SonosNet v1.0

From the look of things you’d be better off wiring any (non-surround) SonosNet v2.0 device than using a Bridge.

Question: Does having a SonosNet v1.0 device in your Sonos mesh network slow the network or reduce throughput compared to all devices being v2.0? Not thinking of the Bridge/Boost here but the really old ZPs that used SonosNet v1.0.

In the matrix my bridge always shows a green boxed connection to a Connect Amp in the same bedroom, while itself remaining between green and yellow in the first column. And it also does the job of extending a wired connection from the router in another room to a cheap TP Link wired access point in said bedroom, flawlessly. 

More to the point: both the WiFi and music play in the bedroom are of the same speed/quality as in the open central space where the router and Boost are installed. 

I don’t see a ghost of a reason to trash it.