Skip to main content

Just bought a new boost for my system and need to connect it to my router via a netgear Ethernet switch - any issues with my plan?  The boost will be the only sonos product hard wired; everything else will be sonosnet.  Thanks for the help

No, that’s the setup I have as well. As long as it is an unmanaged switch, you should be fine.

thanks - yes its an unmanaged switch.  Just curious does the answer change if I connected other sonos devices  (as well as the boost) into the switch ?

Wiring multiple Sonos devices to an unmanaged switch should be trouble free. Known issues are at https://support.sonos.com/s/article/41

Managed switches would typically need to have STP explicitly enabled.

In my experience an unmanaged switch should support IGMP snooping, otherwise a broadcast storm is waiting around the corner as soon as two devices that use multicast are being attached to the switch. Since e.g. an IPTV receiver also utilises multicast a broadcast storm can arise with only one Sonos unit wired to it.

Thanks guys - connected my boost to my switch and mayhem ensued.  Shut down sonosnet and often my entire network.  Right now I have sonosnet up and running connecting a Beam directly to my gateway  (new xfinity XB7) but would like to have the beam hardwired in through my switch as well. My switch is is a Netgear GS108v4.

Any thoughts of suggestions would be appreciated.

The link that Ratty posted says that GS108v1 and GS108v2 are NOT Sonos compatible. Maybe the v4 that you have continues the tradition?