Boost has not helped

• 12 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi All

I have a sonos 1, Ray and roam all in the ground floor and all connected by wifi.

I also have a wifi extender which is mainly there when I go to the garden.

When I tried to group all 3 devices (whilst in the house) I get the error message ‘wireless range extender, cannot group’

So, I bought a boost, installed it but still get exactly the same message so it appears it was a complete waste of money.

Any ideas? Have I done something wrong?

many thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Roam does not work with the Boost (wifi only), so it seems you should make sure it does not connect through the range extender

Many thanks for the reply. Shame this was not clear to me before I paid for the boost…

Any ideas how to stop the roam accessing the extender?

Thanks

Sonos does not support extenders.  That doesn’t mean they cannot possibly work.  What device is your extender?    Does it use yhe same SSID and password as your router?  Does the extender have a ‘bridge’ mode?

Many thanks for the reply. Shame this was not clear to me before I paid for the boost…

Any ideas how to stop the roam accessing the extender?

Thanks

Also, can you perhaps filter the Roam out (blacklist it) using its MAC address? Some Extenders have this option to stop devices using a WiFi extender.

Stopping the Roam connecting to the extender will be a solution if the signal from the router to the Roam is good enough.  That could be checked just by turning off the extender.  But if the extender is needed in order to get a signal to the Roam, it might be that the extender can be set up to work OK with Sonos.