Skip to main content

We have a large open living/kitchen area in our current new construction and I’m having a hard time figuring out what speakers I need and where they should be placed. The room is 29ft L x 25ft W x 32ft H

For music? For video? 

32 foot high is rather a lot. Either way, you’re unlikely to be happy with anything Atmos, and it would be pretty challenging with just in ceiling music speakers. 32 foot tall just isn’t conducive to good audio, especially in that kind of peaked orientation. 

Honestly, with that sort of shape/space to deal with, I’d be hiring an audio professional to design (if it’s even possible) a useable system. Which may, or may not, include Sonos. 

It would be for both music and TV/movies. Totally understand it’s a difficult room with the ceiling and pitch but we’re totally open to in wall speakers and/or speakers on a stand. 

With a ceiling that tall, I’d completely ignore Atmos, and focus on a standard 5.1 experience for TV, using an Arc, a Sub, and a pair of either Sonos Era 100s, or Sonos One SLs on stands behind the couch/seating area. I’d set up a pair (or more) of Sonos Fives, matched with another Sonos Sub, for music purposes. I would completely avoid any ceiling speakers.

But I’m not an acoustical designer. This opinion is worth what you’re paying for it, as are any other responses you’re going to get. 

With a ceiling that tall, I’d completely ignore Atmos, and focus on a standard 5.1 experience for TV, using an Arc, a Sub, and a pair of either Sonos Era 100s, or Sonos One SLs on stands behind the couch/seating area. I’d set up a pair (or more) of Sonos Fives, matched with another Sonos Sub, for music purposes. I would completely avoid any ceiling speakers.

But I’m not an acoustical designer. This opinion is worth what you’re paying for it, as are any other responses you’re going to get. 

As Bruce says, this is a user forum. Unless anyone has a very similar space, we’re just guessing/speculating. I’d echo (no pun intended) Bruce’s thoughts for a space that size. 

Nice choice of words….;) it’s going to be challenging in that space not to have echoes.