ATMOS sound with ARC + In Wall + In Ceiling

• 1 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hey gang,

We have a SONOS ARC and SUB and it sounds amazing. Have some questions about how to integrate this for ATMOS with some architectural speakers? Like - how many AMPS will we need? And will this all work haha?

Here’s our setup and question/situation laid out in more detail, haha:

The house we bought/renovated came with 4 built in wall speakers perfectly placed for surround sound - 2 in the front, on either side of the TV (and about 10 feet apart, 2 feet above ear level, per Dolby). And 2 in the back - about 10 feet behind us, at ear level. Honestly, all pretty close to spec with what Dolby recommends when you go on their site. So that’s all good.

On Black Friday, I found 4 SONOS in-wall speakers to replace these - as the ones we had are third party, and I know Truplay won’t work unless you use the SONANCE, yeah? So we’re going to get these installed. So that’s the first question - to have these work with the ARC and SUB, do we need one AMP or two AMPs? Ive seen several posts in the forums that suggest TWO. One for the front two. And a second for the back two. Can anyone confirm?

Second, we have two in-ceiling speakers that we got for the basement, but never used. And now I’d love to “fold” these into this setup, and add them as our ATMOS overheads. Is this possible? And if so, would this require a THIRD amp?

That’s it. Really just trying to figure out how to best incorporate this great SOUND BAR with the architectural speakers we already have. My wife isn’t a fan of speakers on stands in the room (honestly neither am I), so just trying to make this as clean as possible.

Also - all equipment would be in the same room. And anything can be connected CAT-6 if needed.

Thanks again!

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can either use the Arc for the front left, right and center or use an Amp to power your two in-wall speakers. The Arc will give you Atmos height channels, the Amp won’t.

Your rear can be an Amp, tied to either the Arc or to the front Amp.

If you want Atmos in the rear you would want to use a pair of Era 300s.

You could connect the third set of speakers to your front Amp but they would just mirror the existing pair or you could put them on their own Amp and be able to play independently or Grouped with your TV setup.

I’d say unless the spouse changes their mind you’d be best off with two Amps for your TV setup, you could add a Sub if you wished.

If you want Atmos the Arc, 300s and a Sub would do that best.

You can either use the Arc for the front left, right and center or use an Amp to power your two in-wall speakers. The Arc will give you Atmos height channels, the Amp won’t.

Your rear can be an Amp, tied to either the Arc or to the front Amp.

If you want Atmos in the rear you would want to use a pair of Era 300s.

You could connect the third set of speakers to your front Amp but they would just mirror the existing pair or you could put them on their own Amp and be able to play independently or Grouped with your TV setup.

I’d say unless the spouse changes their mind you’d be best off with two Amps for your TV setup, you could add a Sub if you wished.

If you want Atmos the Arc, 300s and a Sub would do that best.

Stanley thanks so much for the prompt answer!!! Really, really appreciate it. Here is basically our layout, if that helps:

IN WALL BACK LEFT IS HERE → X         O          X  ← IN WALL LEFT IS HERE

SOFA IS HERE →     | |          | ← TV IS HERE

IN WALL BACK RIGHT IS HERE → X         O          X  ← IN WALL LEFT IS HERE

As you can see, we have in walls at the front, and back. So you’re saying we COULD use one AMP for the FRONT set of in-wall, and then another for the REAR set of in-wall? I mean that would be great. We have those AMPS ready to go. And those would work with the ARC in 5.1? 

PS we have a SUB already, that’s been great. So we’re good there!

And then marked in the RED are the two in-ceilings we were going to install, ABOVE the sofa, per Dolby’s recommended placement. Could THESE be added with a third AMP? To add ATMOS overheads?

Thanks SO SO much again. Really, really appreciate your time and patience, Stanley.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The choice is Two Amps for the four in-walls OR an Arc for the front and an Amp for the rear in-walls. For TV you can’t have the Arc and two Amps.

For music you could have the Arc and surround in-walls on an Amp (set the Amp to Full Mode) and Group in a second Amp for the font in-walls.

I’d hook the Sub to the Arc if you go that way, otherwise to the front Amp.