Skip to main content

Here’s the summary:

1. iPhone 12 is my new device that won’t connect (running on 14.7.1) 
    1. The app keeps giving me the message: "Connect this mobile device to wifi to continue"
  2. Was working fine up until a few nights ago--as in, it worked during the day, but stopped one evening. I had not made any changes to either the phone or the system or any wifi related devices in my house.
  3. The app IS still working on my older devices and my computer (not updated to 14.7.1 - the update on my newer device was done at least a week before these issues began)

Here’s what I’ve done to try and solve it:

1. Delete and reinstall app
  2. Forgotten and reconnected to the Wifi 
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Reset network settings on phone
  5. Reset all settings on phone
  6. Reboot router
  7. Reboot Sonos system
  8. Spent about 2 hours on the phone with Sonos support who also couldn’t figure out what was wrong.

Sonos support told me to do the following on the router and I was able to:

• Make sure that no parental control on network devices is blocking Sonos.
  • UPnP should be enabled
  • Multicast should be enabled
  • 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands need to be separated.
  • Wireless channel = set to non-overlapping channels

I was not able to figure out how to do these (which support also suggested):

• DHCP Reservation state needs to be disabled
  • Change the IGMP snooping in the LAN settings to Standard mode instead of blocking
  • Wireless mode (802.11) = Set to b/g/n or /g/n
  • Wireless width = set to 20mhz

Any thoughts?

--------Per Community Recommendations, have also tried:

1. Turned off Private Address in IOS

See this thread:

In particular:

• On iOS devices - make sure you give the Sonos app permission to access devices on the Local Network. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3092
  • On iOS devices - make to to disable Private Address in the iOS connection options for your WiFi network.

Thank you--just turned off Private Address in IOS--did not work :/

Thank you--just turned off Private Address in IOS--did not work :/

And the local network permission?

Assuming the devices on which the Sonos controller does work are connecting to the same WiFi (same access point, same band) then the problem is almost certainly in your phone. 

Yes, I’ve got all the permissions ON. And yes, I assumed it must be something to do with an issue on my phone--I’ve got a post on the Apple forum too. It’s just so weird that it stopped working seemingly at random. Maybe it will get solved with another IOS update? At least the app is still working on my other devices.

FIXED: Just fixed it! VPN issue.

While I was on vacation I was using a different data tracker to track my pre-paid vacation SIM card so I didn’t go over. Apparently it used a VPN or had a VPN option somewhere in it (which I did not know). I randomly came across the VPN on/off/delete info for the app and deleted it -- and the app.