Question

Any tips for folks without broadband?

• 5 October 2020
  • 6 replies

I have been trying for four hours (FOUR) to update my sonos system. I am on terrible and slow internet (throttled verizon mifi/wifi hotspot) and the Sonos update system seems like it was designed for high-bandwidth connections only. I am so frustrated with the software -- and by extension -- the hardware because of this issue. 

My internal-only wifi is rock solid (mesh network with like 6 eero devices). It’s only the connection to the internet that’s bad. It seems to me (I have been a technical manager in software) that the update package should be a one-time download, then the rest of the work of deploying the internet could happen on LAN, but the update process seems very fragile and seems like it needs regular upload/download connectivity to the internet. 

Sonos really needs to investigate why an update that the app says should take 2-3 minutes is for me taking hours and hours and multiple retries. What’s worse, none of my speakers are usable right now because the update keeps failing. I am really upset that I've spent more than $1000 on speakers that don't work without a broadband connection. 

system: 
- beam
- play5 gen2
- play5 gen2
- sonos one
- sonos one

Error code 30. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4905?language=en_US

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Run the update again and as soon as it fails submit a diagnostic and post the ID number here for Sonos support to look into.

thank you, stanley_4. i’ll try that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In future, disable all updates (both Sonos device updates and mobile app updates). Then your poor broadband wont matter (unless you want to stream music of course).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But if you keep your Sonos connected to the outside world (even on a slow connection) without updates will it not become a security risk over time?

Potentially, maybe, but given the issues the OP has, it may be easier for them to not update. And the chances of someone having in to their speaker system isn’t that big of an issue. Might be different if we were talking about OS or NAS updates. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Another solution is to put all the Sonos gear in the back of the car and pay a visit to a friend who has a decent connection, and do the update on their system. Hard-wire everything to keep things simple.