Skip to main content

Hello,

I moved some furniture in my office and decided I wanted to use TruePlay again. I went in the app and when it went to confirm the speakers it came back as failed. I have 3 different amps with 3 different pairs of Sonos architectural speakers that aren’t working. I’ve had this setup for over 2 years and nothing has changed which leads me to believe it’s software based. Has anyone else noticed their amps not “seeing” the Sonos speakers?

It’s the Amps that connect to the app. The passive speakers connected to the Amp have no connection to the app. Your statement that “the amps are not seeing the speakers” makes it unclear what is happening. Can you clarify?

Inside the amp when you Trueplay they send a tone to the speakers to confirm they are architectural speakers, then you can continue to Trueplay tune them. They are now giving an error in the app-

No Sonos Architectural speakers detected

If you have some in this room, make sure they're wired securely to Sonos Amp and try again.

thats why I said the amps aren’t seeing the speakers, the tuning happens in the app. 

Has something been ‘inserted’ between the Amp and the speakers on the wiring, like a volume control, or something?

I’d certainly try a power cycle of the Amp, if not, but if there is no break in the wiring, and the power cycle doesn’t help, I would call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Has something been ‘inserted’ between the Amp and the speakers on the wiring, like a volume control, or something?

I’d certainly try a power cycle of the Amp, if not, but if there is no break in the wiring, and the power cycle doesn’t help, I would call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Unfortunately the setup hasn’t changed in the 3 years I’ve had it. I’m wondering if it’s a software issue in the amps or even the new app. I have an Era 1 that I do Trueplay with on a different system. Granted I do the quick tune but it does it. 

The Amp can’t do a ‘quick tune’. There are no microphones in the Amp. Two different situations. And frankly, IMHO, Sonos marketing shouldn’t call those two processes by the same name. 

It’s probably best if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the Support staff, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

The Amp can’t do a ‘quick tune’. There are no microphones in the Amp. Two different situations. And frankly, IMHO, Sonos marketing shouldn’t call those two processes by the same name. 

It’s probably best if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the Support staff, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

I’ve sent them diagnostics and going to have a phone call with them when I get back home. Wanted to see if anyone else with the same setup was having the same issue. To be fair the initial steps they were having me do weren’t at all related to the issue so we will see what happens  

I’m afraid, not unlike any CS group, some have better experience/training/knowledge than others. I don’t normally recommend this, but I’d feel free to ask for someone else, or just end the call, then call back in. Fortunately, each time I’ve needed to call Sonos, I talked with someone ectremely knowledgeable, and helpful, but can easily expect that not everyone on the phones have that experience, and are reading from a script. 

Shoot, I’m careful not to respond to every thread on this forum…it must be more difficult for them, they don’t know why you’re calling in, until they talk to you. I get to pick and choose who I annoy ;)

I’m afraid, not unlike any CS group, some have better experience/training/knowledge than others. I don’t normally recommend this, but I’d feel free to ask for someone else, or just end the call, then call back in. Fortunately, each time I’ve needed to call Sonos, I talked with someone ectremely knowledgeable, and helpful, but can easily expect that not everyone on the phones have that experience, and are reading from a script. 

Shoot, I’m careful not to respond to every thread on this forum…it must be more difficult for them, they don’t know why you’re calling in, until they talk to you. I get to pick and choose who I annoy ;)

Oh for sure  I’ve only had to reach out a few times and had great customer support. This last time was a little iffy and I ended up leaving the call but only after my home network crashed. More along the lines of others are seeing the same issue therefore I can lean towards software based than anything with my particular setup. I have 3 different amps and they all are exhibiting the same issue.

If all are exhibiting the same behavior, it certainly could be the firmware on the devices….but could also be something in your network. I’d call in again, and maybe see if you can get bumped to level 2 support…which will likely take longer, as a guess, but perhaps give you better knowledge at the end. But I’d start with whomever answers the call.