Answered

Amp hdmi question

• 3 October 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a new Sony 4k blu-ray player that has two hdmi outputs.  One is full hdmi with video and the other is audio only.  I’d like to run the full one to my tv for movie playback through my Sonos 5.1 system but would like to bypass the tv for listening to cds.  Will the Amp take the signal from an audio only hdmi or do I need an external DAC?

Moderator Note: Modified for technical accuracy (replaced Connect Amp with Amp).

icon

Best answer by ratty 3 October 2022, 15:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You  could go with an external DAC or an HDMI/HDMI-ARC converter like HD Fury Arcana.  With the latter, you’d also need to have some sort of HDMI switch capable of handling multiple HDMI sources, assuming you have other sources besides your blu ray player.

It doesn’t seem like any fancy switching is required, especially not Arcana.

Assuming the BD player’s audio-only HDMI is normal, it ought to be possible to use a regular HDMI audio extractor. Many have RCA outputs as well as optical. If not (or the extractor’s DAC quality offends) a separate DAC could be used.

The resulting RCA signal would then feed the AMP’s Line-In.

Come to think of it, does the BD player not have RCA outputs of its own?

The player unfortunately doesn’t provide RCA outputs. Thank you for the responses!