Answered

All sonos devices disconnected - now chaos

I had a week of outage of my broadband provider. They replaced my cable modem (router configured as a modem). All fixed eventually..NO changes to the wifi router and everything else has reconnected fine.  BUT. On the sonos app, I had no devices. My playbase was droping sound every few seconds even though it was working together with the rest of the surround sound. I could not control anything. I did a factory reset on 2 x Sonos 1s, my sub and playbase. It took 2 or 3 attempts to get them to connect, but eventually I was able to add the two 1s and the sub in the Lounge “room” in the app. Then I added the playbase - this took 7 or 8 attempts until it eventually worked. I added it to the room Lounge. Thought I had success. When I went to the app again, the playbase was showing as being in “Lounge 2” while the two 1s and the sub remained in “Lounge”. When I try to change the room for the Playbase to Lounge, it does not appear on the list and when I try to reassign the 1s and sub from Lounge, the room Lounge 2 is not available. (i.e. does not even appear in the list. In fact when I try to some of my other devices to a different room, the active rooms do not always show up. For example I can’t move a device to “Dining Room” - I am offered “Dining Room 2”. When I reconnected some of the devices, the rest appeared, some I can connect to existing rooms and others only offer me “<room> 2” if that room has a device in it. It is almost as though I have 2 parallel systems - in my lounge I have half a surround sound system - all these devices have been factory reset and reconnected. I can see them all on the app, but they appear to be in 2 different worlds.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 November 2022, 17:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hi. Rooms are just labels for speakers.  So it doesn't make sense to talk of moving speakers into rooms 

Is WiFi switched on on two routers now? What about DHCP?

Factory resetting is nearly always a mistake. Please stop.

You need to set up the Playbase FIRST..

From where you are I suggest you :

1. Unpair the Sub from whatever it is paired to.

2. If the Ones are stereo paired unpair them.

3  Rename the Ones as Fred and George.

4. Rename the Playbase as Lounge..

5 in the Settings for the Playbase, add Fred and George as surrounds and the Sub.

6. That will leave you with a single room called Lounge.

Thanks - I’ll try this. As I mentioned. I have other units in the system which have not been factory reset which are behaving in the same way. e.g. I have a play 1 in my office, I cannot move it (I understand that these are just labels, I am just using a common form of phrasing to describe my actions) to the existing Dining Room as I only see Dining Room 2. So these items have nothing to do with the lounge Playbase, 1s and sub.

Why is factory resetting a bad idea?

This still isn't making much sense to me. Let's take the example of Dining Room. Which speaker or combination of speakers (eg stereo pair) do you want to appear as Dining Room in the app when this nightmare is over?

What is currently labelled Dining Room?

Note: if you are trying to call two speakers Dining Room so that they can form a stereo pair then that is where you are going wrong.

OK I think I understand now what you are attempting to do and where your thinking is going totally astray. You do NOT create a surround system called Lounge by changing the names of all the components to Lounge. That just gives you a collection of separate speakers with the same name. It's like calling all three of your daughters Susan .

You do NOT create a stereo pair called Dining Room by labelling two speakers as Dining Room.  You start with one speaker called Dining Room and another speaker of the same type called ANYTHING BUT Dining Room. Dining Room 2 is fine but you could call it Donald if you wanted. Go into Settings for the speaker labelled Dining Room and select "Create stereo pair". Follow the prompts. You will end up with a room called Dining Room, and Donald will have been absorbed into Dining Room. 

@John B - not sure how we are going down this rabbit hole. 

I know about Surround sound on Sonos - it has been set up for years in my house - set up by me

I know about setting up stereo pairs - I have 3 set up in my house - set up by me

I know what rooms are for.

I appreciate that this is sounding odd and confusing, that’s because it is confusing. 

I am REQUIRED to place items into rooms by the app, its part of the setup process. So I try to do that, but I cannot add the items I need to set up for surround sound in the same room. This is important as I want to be able to group rooms when I want to play the same music across the house - I do not want to add Lounge and Lounge 2 along with Dining room just to get music in 2 rooms. In the same way I want to play music in the Lounge as well as TV so I don’t want to have to group one half of my lounge to the other half, just to listen to music from all my speakers in that room. When I play music in the lounge, I want it to play in the lounge not in “Lounge” and “Lounge 2”

To clarify - I am NOT naming these rooms myself, the app offers “Lounge” as a default room name and I added other products to it. When I try to add a further device to this room, it offers me a room call Lounge 2 (Lounge is not an option even though I just added 3 products to it)- i.e. it is the system that is forcing me to use these labels. This results in the playbase being in Lounge 2 and the rest in Lounge. I cannot in any way put them all in the same room as they were before my network downtime. 

So if I go to the room with the Playbase (Lounge 2) and go to settings and click “add a sub” I can see the sub in the other room (Lounge), I select it and it says “it looks as though this Sub is connected to another product, would you like to connect it to this product” So I click yes. It tries to connect but fails. 

I know that it is possible to create 2 systems on the same wifi, but it’s not something I have done. The system maybe has done it on its own?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jonr71 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Given the amount of confusion here, I took a quick peek at your system and I do recommend that you get in touch with our technical support team as you seem to have split your system into multiple systems, and approximately half of the total are currently offline.

Each surround system, stereo pair, or individual speaker must be given a “Room” name and duplicates are not allowed. You must then “Group” Rooms that you want to play the same music. Follow John B’s and Corry P’s suggestions above as you break down and rebuild your system.

Here is some information about Groups. You’ll be interested in the section showing how to “Save Groups”.

Hi @jonr71 

Given the amount of confusion here, I took a quick peek at your system and I do recommend that you get in touch with our technical support team as you seem to have split your system into multiple systems, and approximately half of the total are currently offline.

Thanks - I haven’t split the system deliberately, I just tried to recover the system after a prolonged wifi outage. I’ll contact technical support later and see if they can assist. 

Hi @jonr71 

Thanks - I haven’t split the system deliberately, I just tried to recover the system after a prolonged wifi outage. I’ll contact technical support later and see if they can assist. 

I am sure they will and that is the best option.  You have probably split the system by going through a new system set up for several speakers, rather than (after the first) using ‘Add Product’ in the System Settings.

I hope you get it sorted soon.