Skip to main content

Thanks in Advance

I am wondering if there is any advantage to connecting my Amp via ethernet to my router when all my speakers are wired to the amp (architectural). My issue is not Sonos per se, its more my Stralink router. The only way I've found to make Sonos work with it is to connect it via a dedicated 2.4 Ghz channel on the Starlink router (by “splitting” the channels on the router), and if I want to use Sonos I have usually have to switch to the 2.4 channel on any mobile devices which always want to be on the 5 Ghz. I assume if it’s hardwired then I can get rid of the separate channels on the Starlink. In this case I assume the amp still outputs to the speakers its connected to and if it creates a sonosnet network its a moot point.

It makes sense to wire the Sonos Amp in this case. SonosNet is not relevant to your Amps connected ‘passive’ speakers and will only become relevant if you add other Sonos products. However, If you prefer, you can always switch off the Amps WiFi adapters anyway, once it’s wired to your router, but remember to enable its WiFi if you add additional Sonos products later.

It makes sense to wire the Sonos Amp in this case. SonosNet is not relevant to your Amps connected ‘passive’ speakers and will only become relevant if you add other Sonos products. However, If you prefer, you can always switch off the Amps WiFi adapters anyway, once it’s wired to your router, but remember to enable its WiFi if you add additional Sonos products later.

thank you sir

I’m anal about wiring and will always try to wire networks.

I’m not familiar with your router. Some routers, by default, will prevent wireless clients from communicating with wired clients or 2.4GHz clients from communicating with 5GHz clients. SONOS players and controllers are very chatty with each other. If they can’t chat, the system will not work.

I’m anal about wiring and will always try to wire networks.

I’m not familiar with your router. Some routers, by default, will prevent wireless clients from communicating with wired clients or 2.4GHz clients from communicating with 5GHz clients. SONOS players and controllers are very chatty with each other. If they can’t chat, the system will not work.

Thanks for the extra info. all my speakers are wired to the AMP, so the only thing communicating with the wireless network is the Amp itself. The only way i could make it work with a starlink router was to split the routers channels into the two bands (not sure why they aren't separate like every other other router) and connect it to the 2.4 Ghz one. Now, to use the Sonos app i need to switch my phone to the 2.4 ghz network because it constantly defaults to the 5Ghz. I am hoping to avoid this altogether by hardwiring the amp to the router via ethernet.