Skip to main content

I understand that there is already a 4-year-old thread talking about this issue, but it is silly that this problem still exists on the latest model and technology & we don’t have a proper official response on this. Even four days ago someone replied on that thread talking about the same problem and doesn’t seem to get attention, so I decided to post a new one here.

Products I own: two Era 300 (stereo paired)

Use case: M1 Pro Macbook Pro + Airplay2 + Chrome + Youtube

Problem:

• If I pause a video for a few seconds, it’s fine and when I play it again it connects.
  • If I pause a video for some time (say, two minutes), when I resume it, no sound is played at all. The audio output seems to still be Sonos, but just no sound.
  • (Silly way to address it:) if I change the audio output back to Macbook Pro speakers, and then change back to sonos, it’s fine again.

But I really don’t want to do this every time!

Hi @fatemystery 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

How do you connect AirPlay? Do you do it from your Mac’s settings (Control Centre) or from within the YouTube web-player? The reason I ask is because if you initiate the connection from within Control Centre, then you are using AirPlay v1, which is not fully supported by Sonos: see Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos

AirPlay v2 (initiated from within an application) is more reliable.

I did look at that thread and noticed there was no pinned reply - I pinned one. Thanks for flagging!

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry, this is very helpful. 

Indeed, I double checked that this issue disappeared when I use the Airplay from within the YouTube web-player. Previously I have been initiating the connection from control center.

However this also comes with two inconveniences: first, not every web page has airplay function, and it seems I don’t have airplay option when using Chrome but I do have that function when using Safari when browsing YouTube. But there are also many more video websites which just don’t support initiating Airplay within the webpage.

Second when initiating from within the webpage system-wide volume control no longer works, i.e. I can’t use the volume up and down shortcut on my keyboard, but have to go to the webpage to adjust the volume.

These two inconvieniences would still make me feel that an improved experience with Airplay1 would be helpful -- is that architechture-wise possible?

I’d think, and this pure speculation, that if AirPlay 1 was possible, Sonos would have implemented it long before they implemented AirPlay 2.

Hi @fatemystery 

I’d have to refer you to my now-pinned reply on the thread you linked to:

I hope this helps.