Skip to main content

AirPlay was working fine in my Sonos Amp but recently I plugged my Sonos amp to an Ethernet cable to activate Sonosnet and get more reliable connection with my devices. However, I am now no longer able to stream to the Sonos Amp via AirPlay 

I tried restarting, turning off the wifi and back on. Also tried other recommendations I saw to turn off cellular and Bluetooth (not sure why that would affect it) but nothing works…

any recommendation?

Moderator note: Edited your typo in the title, then trashed your, now irrelevant, follow-up comment. We don’t normally edit posts, but in this case there was an obvious benefit for others who are searching the Community.

This is odd. Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.

Have you rebooted the AMP? If not, I suggest a reboot.

Hmmm. Honestly, I’d be tempted to reboot the device after turning back on the WiFi…but I’m semi-OCD about that kind of thing. I always want a ‘fresh’ load of the firmware, just as a precaution. 

You may want to double check that the device and your Sonos are on the same WiFi, and using AirPlay 2, not AirPlay 1. The best way to do this is to connect from the OS level, not the application level, as some applications only use AirPlay 1. 

It might also be worth rebooting both your router and Apple device, to ensure the issue isn’t on that side. 

I wouldn’t think Bluetooth on or off would make any difference. 

Hi

Do you by chance have a Mesh network (i.e. main router and 1-3 satellites)? Some may have a router and an extender.

In either case you must connect your Amp to the main router and not a satellite or extender to place all devices on the same network for AirPlay 2 to work properly.

@AjTrek1 yes, my Sonos Amp is wired to a satellite pod on the mesh network (using Plume Wifi Mesh Network). the issue I have is that the Amp is far from the Router. maybe I should wire another Sonos device (the play 1 for example) to the Main router, so I have Sonosnet et Airplay working on the Amp? would that solve it?

@AjTrek1 yes, my Sonos Amp is wired to a satellite pod on the mesh network (using Plume Wifi Mesh Network). the issue I have is that the Amp is far from the Router. maybe I should wire another Sonos device (the play 1 for example) to the Main router, so I have Sonosnet et Airplay working on the Amp? would that solve it?

That sounds like a good plan to wire speaker tp the main router. Give it a try and see what the results are.

I suggest keeping your whole SONOS system wireless. If AMP is too far from the only wired player or BOOST, the connection will not be reliable. I have PLUME and it wirelessly supports SONOS in WiFi mode. I’m reluctant to wire SONOS to a wireless PLUME node. Placement of a wireless node should be about midway between a good coverage area and a difficult area. If necessary a string of wireless nodes can be used to reach a distant area. It may be necessary to temporarily wire AMP to the network, not a wireless node, while you enter the WiFi credentials. It may take PLUME overnight to work out the optimal topology.

@buzz thank you. I have pretty good coverage with my Plume pods. But sometimes, it takes the system quite some time to group speakers. or sometimes I would get an error when trying to add a speakers to a group. something that disappeared when I wired the Amp and SonosNet was activated..

@buzz thank you. I have pretty good coverage with my Plume pods. But sometimes, it takes the system quite some time to group speakers. or sometimes I would get an error when trying to add a speakers to a group. something that disappeared when I wired the Amp and SonosNet was activated..

I use Sonos on Plume WiFi Hubs too - maybe try them in ‘Bridged AP’ mode and run all on its WiFi signal - switch off your routers WiFi adapters too and don’t wire anything Sonos - works a treat for my system (no group-delay issues here) and ‘if’ there are any WiFi black-spots then maybe add a further SuperPod to the setup.

I recently encountered an issue with my Sonos Amp where Airplay is no longer working, which is frustrating, especially during my certification process for Canada Certificate Attestation. Hoping for a quick resolution as it's impacting my home audio setup.

Hoping for a quick resolution as it's impacting my home audio setup.

Calling support after sending in a diagnostic once you recreate the issue is your fastest path to a solution in most cases.

In addition, it may not hurt to reboot your router, followed by your Sonos Amp. And, frankly, whatever Apple device you’re sending AirPlay 2 from.