After Ubuntu upgrade - No access to library

I have just upgraded from Ubuntu 19.10 to 20.04  on my server that contains all my music and SONOS was unable to find my samaba share. After almost a whole morning of trying to figure it out I checked out the release notes for 20.04 (which I should have done in the first place) only to find that the new version of samba used explicitly disables SMBv1.

SONOS only supports SMBv1. After some more trawling of the net I found that adding the following line to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, in the [global] section;

server min protocol = NT1

and restarting samba with the following command;

sudo systemctl restart smbd.service

my server started talking SMBv1 and SONOS could connect.

I hope this will save someone the time I wasted to fix the issue

Jim!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Many of us are hoping that the S2 version of the upcoming Sonos software will allow them enough space to update the linux kernel running the speakers, and give them the opportunity to update the version of SMB, at least for S2 systems.

I had this same issue, but adding the 1 statement above did not resolve my issue.  If you still have issues after following the steps above (and have accepted you will need to re-enable SMBv1) try the below steps:

In order to resolve connectivity, I had to add 2 statements:

server min protocol = NT1
ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted

Once I added both statements and recycled smbd:

sudo systemctl restart smbd.service

or 

sudo service smbd restart

I was then able to access my music library.  

Just encountered this issue with the October upgrade of the LTS edition. So pleased to find your posts which resolved my problems at first pass.

Thanks!

Chris