6 sonos one keep interrupting when grouped

we use sonos in our medical clinic. often when the speakers are grouped, they cut in/out. when i do network speed test we are getting 100mbps downloads so I’m quite sure it’s not a wifi issue. furthermore, i’ve noticed that if i ungroup the speakers, the interruptions mostly stop. the problem with this is that every room now has a different sound track and frankly it defeats the purpose of having a sonos “system” in the first place. we are about to expand and open more clinics and I am not feeling confident that sonos is the solution. I like sonos, but these interruptions are a problem and affect our patient experience. help? has anyone else experienced this issue and how have you resolved it?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @oli mitt 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Another thing to think about is which speaker is in charge of the group - it needs to fetch the stream and redistribute it to the rest of the system, so it’s connection quality is important. Generally, either a wired unit or the unit that’s closest to the router should be used. To change the speaker in charge of a group, ungroup, select the speaker to be in charge, then group the others to it. It will always be listed first in the group.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I may have just rephrased @Airgetlam’s advice. 😁

It’s also possible that devices other than internet devices are providing varying levels of wifi interference , which would go away if you wired the devices as suggested above. You could also consider starting playback from a single wired speaker, which would then broadcast to all of the others. Sometimes it’s not easily recognized that you’re starting a group from the weakest signal device. If you don’t have one wired, try one that’s closest to the router, under the assumption it has the strongest signal. But there’s lots of other ideas in the FAQ I’ve linked, too. 

You might also want to look at changing the channel your router is broadcasting on, in order to receive less interference, either from devices in your office, or from outside of your office. 

As stated, a Sonos BOOST would take things off of your wifi network, and put them on SonosNet, but that is also subject to the aforementioned interference, and may not be a silver bullet solution. 

Userlevel 7

Try wiring one of the Sonos speakers directly to the router with an ethernet cable. If this isn’t possible, consider getting a Sonos Boost.