2 zones with sonance MAG 6.1

• 1 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I have an extra Sonos amp laying around and was wondering if it’s possible to make 2 zones out of the 6.1 package?

Zone 1: 4 speakers and subwoofer around pool

Zone 2: 2 speakers for firepit no subwoofer.  Would the speakers still sound good without having no sub on this zone?

6 replies

Each ‘zone’ requires its own Amp in order to play more than one stream at the same time.

You may want to ask Sonance about splitting up the group of speakers, but it’s hard to imagine that a subwoofer in an outside environment makes a huge difference. 

Badge +2

Each ‘zone’ requires its own Amp in order to play more than one stream at the same time.

You may want to ask Sonance about splitting up the group of speakers, but it’s hard to imagine that a subwoofer in an outside environment makes a huge difference. 

Will do I just sent them an email and waiting for a response.

Also ask them  this morning if there would be any issues with wiring the subwoofer to both zones like this example.

Also ask them  this morning if there would be any issues with wiring the subwoofer to both zones like this example.

I would be surprised if this sort of setup is supported. These setups are designed to present an 8 ohm load to the amp, so removing some of the speakers from the equation is going to mess that up.  Besides, if you’re going to use a switch (I assume that’s what the zone 2 box is) you might be better off get a good impedance matching switch  with 2 or more zones, and maybe volume control) in between the the amp and all your speakers.  As mentioned already though, a ‘zone’ in that setup wouldn’t allow you to play different sources, or the volume of each zone via the sonos app. 

Badge +2

I would be surprised if this sort of setup is supported. These setups are designed to present an 8 ohm load to the amp, so removing some of the speakers from the equation is going to mess that up.  Besides, if you’re going to use a switch (I assume that’s what the zone 2 box is) you might be better off get a good impedance matching switch  with 2 or more zones, and maybe volume control) in between the the amp and all your speakers.  As mentioned already though, a ‘zone’ in that setup wouldn’t allow you to play different sources, or the volume of each zone via the sonos app. 

I understand.  The second box for zone 2 would be a 2nd Sonos amp, which is what I was thinking to control the volume.  The goal I was trying to achieve was being able to isolate the speakers depending on where we would be sitting vs trying to play different audio sources.

So if we were sitting by the fireplace only have zone 2 speakers playing or group all zones together in Sonos.

If you’re going to use 2 amps, then you are definitely going to have an impedence issue without an impedience matching switch.

I think you’re over complicated this a bit.  I understand the desire to play audio only at the fire pit at times, but I suspect you’ll find that it really isn’t necessary.  Your garden speakers are pointed in, so they are much less likely to disturb your neighbors.

I have a somewhat similar yard, with the majority of it covered by 4 speakers connected to a single amp.  2 of the speakers are centered around the hot tub area, and I am not concerned about volume over the rest of the yard.  Although not bad, where I eventually added speakers is under the covered patio area, farthest away from the speakers along the fence line.  I have a side yard area too, but that doesn’t apply for you.  I don’t have a sub and never really felt like I needed one.

Badge +2

I’ve been told before I  have a habit of over complicating matters lol

Our pool will have 2 waterfall features.  Do you think it would be better to place 2 speakers at option 1 or Option 2 location?  Concern being the waterfall feature could drown out the sound from the speakers.