Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm looking to setup my turntable remotely. I do not want to use songs as an amp, I already have a great amp and a multi-room setup. I merely want move my turntable to my living room (for convenience) while leaving the rest of my setup in the basement. Am I correct in assuming the following setup: Turntable > Pre-amp > Sonos Connect > wirelessly transmits to second Sonos Connect > Receiver.

If you want to save a little money you may want to check out this Instructable I wrote describing how to set up a Raspberry Pi as a line-in for Sonos: https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/ Cheaper than buying a Sonos Connect 😃
That will do it.
I'm looking to setup my turntable remotely. I do not want to use songs as an amp, I already have a great amp and a multi-room setup. I merely want move my turntable to my living room (for convenience) while leaving the rest of my setup in the basement. Am I correct in assuming the following setup: Turntable > Pre-amp > Sonos Connect > wirelessly transmits to second Sonos Connect > Receiver.
They sometimes put popular albums, like The Beatles and Stones behind the counter with high prices, but i don't care for pop, so no problem.
Used Vinyl seems to be one of those happy exceptions where it is cheaper to be of a discerning bent!
Oh, i never buy new records. I love hitting the GoodWill thrift that's within walking distance of my job. Jazz records are hard to find, but persistence has paid off over the years. They sometimes put popular albums, like The Beatles and Stones behind the counter with high prices, but i don't care for pop, so no problem. Had to laugh, in the weeks after MJ died, they were trying to sell Thriller for $$$. There were something like 25 million copies pressed. It will never be worth more than $2, lol.

Just surprised at how many old school liberties I can take with the Sonus/analogue interface without having the sorts of issues I have spent my life encountering on purely analogue set ups.

Lol. Welcome to the club. Although in my case by now I have phased out all analogue except two zones with passive speakers that still work very well with a Connect Amp.

As to vinyl prices in the UK, I believe that the USD 2 reference is for used records. Doesn't the UK do garage sale equivalents? Or have stores that also sell used records? New is expensive in both places, I think.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Definitely. I am too old to get beyond the aesthetic beauty and rituals of turntables and vinyl, but I have noticed in charity stores here in Scotland, vinyl is now starting at £2 for even non descript stuff, whereas CDs are now 3 for £1.
In a wee Victorian house with Victorian wallpaper, my compromise has involved painting not only my Sonos 5s, but also my pre-amp and TT too. She is happy, and tbh, I think it's ok too! Nice clean lines if nothing else.

Looks nice! I'd be worried about acoustic feedback, though, with the speaker and TT on the same shelf.

Records are still $2 here, thankfully, including some valuable Blue Notes I've snagged over the years. ;)

Got to admit, I had the same concerns too, and I actually swapped the pre-amp and turntable locations, but in both configurations, there seems to be zero feedback. The table itself is one solid bit of engineering, and the hairpin legs were made for me to a pretty high standard.....no spikes though. One compromise I did have to make! Envious of the vinyl market in the US. Prices here in the UK are definitely on the climb.
Just need to to chase down Kumar on the subject of the Connect I have linked up to the home cinema system. By sheer luck, none of his concerns have come to pass, and the entire 7.1 system is pumping out synced sounds. Happy bunny here.
Oh, I added a Sub lying flat underneath the table (yep, yet another compromise), and really happy with the results so far. A much more mellow addition to vinyl sounds compared to the REL Storm attached to the cinema system, but that's ok.
Just surprised at how many old school liberties I can take with the Sonus/analogue interface without having the sorts of issues I have spent my life encountering on purely analogue set ups.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi everyone I’m hoping I can get an answer to my question please. I have a Playbar, Sub & 2 Play 3s as rear surrounds. I use a Toslink switcher to hook up my Sky Box & Xbox as I found the sound quality was better than running a Toslink from the TV.
I’ve found a thread where someone has connected their Pre-amp TT to their Playbar & Sub set up using an RCA to SPDIF converter so it goes from RCA to Toslink. They say it sounds great.
My question is: would I get sound from my rear surrounds as well with the same set up bearing in mind I think the Playbar would be receiving a Stereo 2 channel line in input?
If I were to only get sound from the Playbar & Sub I wouldn’t be interested in getting the turntable. I don’t want to get a Sonos Connect as I don’t have Sonos products elsewhere in the house.
Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

You can answer your own question by testing it yourself.

Go to your Sky box or better still your Xbox and set it for basic stereo out. So that's PCM Stereo with no Down-mixing. Play that through your Sonos system. I'll be that the rear surrounds still run because the Playbar will apply a surround algorithm when it detects basic 2 channel.

However, there is a better way.

The surround algorithm makes educated guesses as to what the rear channels should be doing. You can have the rears play in a sort of 4 Channel Stereo mode. Go to Settings - Room settings - "Your Playbar group" - Advanced sound - Surround settings. Set the "Playing Music" option to Full rather than Ambient.

You can try this now without making any changes to either the Sky box or XBox. Try a Sky radio station as they play in stereo with no surround encoding. See how you get on.
Definitely. I am too old to get beyond the aesthetic beauty and rituals of turntables and vinyl, but I have noticed in charity stores here in Scotland, vinyl is now starting at £2 for even non descript stuff, whereas CDs are now 3 for £1.
In a wee Victorian house with Victorian wallpaper, my compromise has involved painting not only my Sonos 5s, but also my pre-amp and TT too. She is happy, and tbh, I think it's ok too! Nice clean lines if nothing else.

Looks nice! I'd be worried about acoustic feedback, though, with the speaker and TT on the same shelf.

Records are still $2 here, thankfully, including some valuable Blue Notes I've snagged over the years. 😉
Hi everyone I’m hoping I can get an answer to my question please. I have a Playbar, Sub & 2 Play 3s as rear surrounds. I use a Toslink switcher to hook up my Sky Box & Xbox as I found the sound quality was better than running a Toslink from the TV.
I’ve found a thread where someone has connected their Pre-amp TT to their Playbar & Sub set up using an RCA to SPDIF converter so it goes from RCA to Toslink. They say it sounds great.
My question is: would I get sound from my rear surrounds as well with the same set up bearing in mind I think the Playbar would be receiving a Stereo 2 channel line in input?
If I were to only get sound from the Playbar & Sub I wouldn’t be interested in getting the turntable. I don’t want to get a Sonos Connect as I don’t have Sonos products elsewhere in the house.
Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I haven't come across it yet with a new turntable and its factory-fitted cartridge, but there's always a first time. I have seen it where people have tried to swap a cartridge themselves and got muddled. I have also heard of one cartridge manufacturer getting the wiring wrong during production.

Check all the rest of our wiring first , but if it's all good and vocals are still recessed on just the turntable then it's worth investigating the phase of the wiring further.

You were right, it's the turntable. Wiring is defective and it's being returned. Many many thanks for your help and response and also thanks Andy B, appreciate your help as well! It's just the worst not knowing what the h*ll is wrong so you can fix it but TT is getting replaced and soon I'll be able to enjoy my vinyl again on the Sonos 🙂.

Hi StephJoyce, I'm facing the same issues you were a couple weeks back. How did you establish that the wiring in your cartridge/TT was defective?

He heard the effect of something called destructive interference. Sounds that you would expect to come through loudly and from the centre of a stereo recording were much weaker than expected, but sounds on the more extreme left and right edges of the stereo soundfield were still strong.

You'll hear this effect (even with a mono speaker) when one side of a 2-channel system is out of phase with its partner. The cause is the the Plus and Minus wires for one channel are crossed over.
Userlevel 1
Badge

For those reasons I expect the market for even new turntables/vinyl to continue long after CD players have gone out of production. With better ways of managing digital music, they are already obsolete.

A bit like Morgan sports cars. Or Montblanc and other fountain pens - TTs I mean.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wouldn’t bother with a Bluetooth turntable, they are typically junk. TRNTBL has a reputation here for not delivering, and not responding to emails. Probably to be avoided. So many great classic turntables available at garage sales, Craigslist, etc for a song, which will greatly outperform the Crosley junk.
Totally agree. Here in Scotland, I picked up a Thorens TD150 (albeit with a cracked Perspex lid) for £20 ($27?) from a charity store. Decent Ortofon cartridge fitted too. For me, an old school properly engineered TT plus pre-amp will blow away any Bluetooth enabled plastic dinner plate mass produced in China to a bargain basement price.
It could be a bad jack, but unlikely and a new cable should either solve the problem or tell you the way forward. Good luck!
Thank you Kumar, I think it is either the 3mm RCA Y cable or the Play:5 jack. it does not seem to fit properly - somewhat loose. It crackles like a bad connection, when you try to re-seat. Like a bad iPhone jack with different volumes, channels, tracks, etc. as you mess with it. Cable looks normal, but ordered one to troubleshoot. Have a feeling it is bad Jack on the Play:5.
Hi, I have a Play 5 and a Audio Technica AT-LP60 which has a pre-amp - I hooked it up and it seemed to kind of work, but it seems like some of the "tracks" are missing? So, I played Money by Pink Floyd. I can hear the instrument tracks but none of the vocals, etc. Any thoughts?

Hey adstasa, on page two of this thread, StephJoyce asked a similar question. Check and see if any of the tips there help you out!

I haven't come across it yet with a new turntable and its factory-fitted cartridge, but there's always a first time. I have seen it where people have tried to swap a cartridge themselves and got muddled. I have also heard of one cartridge manufacturer getting the wiring wrong during production.

Check all the rest of our wiring first , but if it's all good and vocals are still recessed on just the turntable then it's worth investigating the phase of the wiring further.

You were right, it's the turntable. Wiring is defective and it's being returned. Many many thanks for your help and response and also thanks Andy B, appreciate your help as well! It's just the worst not knowing what the h*ll is wrong so you can fix it but TT is getting replaced and soon I'll be able to enjoy my vinyl again on the Sonos 🙂.

Hi StephJoyce, I'm facing the same issues you were a couple weeks back. How did you establish that the wiring in your cartridge/TT was defective?
What do you mean by missing tracks - this can be easily seen on a visible turntable platter: Do some songs not play at all from beginning to their end while the needle continues to move in the groove?
As to hearing only some content, it sounds like only one channel works. Are you using the correct cable from preamp to play 5, one with a single but stereo jack at the 5 end?
Hi, I have a Play 5 and a Audio Technica AT-LP60 which has a pre-amp - I hooked it up and it seemed to kind of work, but it seems like some of the "tracks" are missing? So, I played Money by Pink Floyd. I can hear the instrument tracks but none of the vocals, etc. Any thoughts?
I wouldn’t bother with a Bluetooth turntable, they are typically junk. TRNTBL has a reputation here for not delivering, and not responding to emails. Probably to be avoided. So many great classic turntables available at garage sales, Craigslist, etc for a song, which will greatly outperform the Crosley junk.
Hi, great convo here. First time question. Long time Sonos owner. I appreciate your help. I was planning to eventually connect my ancient (but beloved) Technics SL-120 to my Sonos system. I have speakers is all the main rooms of my home (except kids’ rooms and bathrooms but you never know) and am seriously considering buying a wireless turntable to use with the Sonos system to keep things simple/modern. However, I have not found any Sonos owner reviews for wireless turntables available. I see one turntable that advertises as Sonos compatible (TRNTBL) and I’ve noticed a couple higher quality Bluetooth turntables on the market. Has anyone tried these Bluetooth turntables with their Sonos? If so, can I get some reviews and set-up/configuration suggestions? Thanks! Looking forward to seeing thoughts on this topic.
I have one of the great tuners, the Kenwood Supreme 600T, with an 8-gang front end (the average FM tuner has 3 gangs), and a couple of the amazing little Sony XDR-F1HD DSP tuners, but sadly, there’s just not enough quality FM content available anymore to bother with. The big Kenny tuna has a deviation meter, which shows how much dynamic range compression the station is using. With virtually all commercial stations, the meter stays static, at maximum output; the loudness wars have determined that all content must be played as loud as possible, with almost zero dynamic range. The meter fluctuates wildly on the listener supported stations, but sadly, the music content has been moved to their HD2 channel, with lower fidelity than a 128K mp3 stream. So, even though the little Sony tuna can play it, it’s just not worthwhile vs TuneIn.

Very nice, in particular the cabinet. So you have a TT, ES speakers and voice controlled streaming services. A rare combination of relevant tech. No FM radio or does that now become redundant with Tune In?
PS: and there must be a NAS stashed out of sight somewhere to eliminate the need for a CD player.
My living room setup. A vintage Sony PS-X65 turntable nicely matches the QUAD ESL-63 electrostatics in appearance, and is a great performer. An antique Chinese cabinet holds a small phono preamp and a Sonos Connect:Amp, which powers the QUADs with sufficient power for the Jazz I listen to. The Sonos is set up to auto-detect a signal on line-in, so playing a record is painlessly simple. An Echo across the room now serves as the voice portal for streaming content. I can’t imagine a better, simpler setup.