Question

Sub gen 2 vs gen 3

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

I am facing the same question. The Gen 2’s are now going for $599. Is the Gen 3 worth the extra $100? Can’t say that I like the fact that Sonos has taken away the ability play music on an iOS device on older products either directly or through Air Play 2. I worry that if I buy the Gen 2 I will be “on the clock” for losing future functionality

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

To add to the above, it has improved hardware, but all hardware related to sound quality is unchanged - so no difference in that aspect.

The gen 3 sub has improved hardware, but no additional functionality.    If your current sub isn’t performing well doing wireless issues or something of that nature, getting the gen 3 sub might help.  Other than that, there’s no real reason to upgrade your sub, IMO.  If there are new features introduced later on that interest you, you can just upgrade at that time.