Answered

Sonos Port 12V Trigger

• 30 October 2019
  • 28 replies

Show first post

28 replies

Badge +1

Just to be clear on this trigger topic: my Sonos Port would be able to switch on/off my amplifier if I have a trigger in input, right?

I think I am out of luck with my Arcam A90...

I thought I had an issue with this but it turns out the issue was just me.  I have a Rotel digital amp that I thought was not being triggered by the Port because an indicator light stayed on.  It turns out the light is a standby light.  Listening carefully, I could detect the Port switching the amp of exactly 2 minutes later as it is supposed to. I can’t speak to whether it works with a receiver, but if the amp has a 12 V input switch, it works exactly like it should.  Great product. 

I want to connect (3) PORTs to a 6-channel power amplifier that has only one 12V trigger input. Can I parallel all three triggers to this one trigger input? Do I have to use diode isolation?

I like the idea of using isolation diodes in series with each 12V trigger. Any of the 1N400x diodes would be fine for this application. They are readily available, inexpensive, and relatively rugged. I recommend soldering all of the connections and enclosing the network in a discarded pill bottle. The banded ends of the diodes are connected together and to the amplifier. Make sure that there are no short circuits. You could build the network on a small printed circuit board if you are a neat freak. I would tend to build a little 3-D mess, then apply a glob of silicone rubber to keep wires from touching each other.