Answered

sonos are suggesting i replace my bridge with Boost - why?

• 26 August 2019
  • 39 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Badge +2

Everything uses SonosNet 2.0, except for the ancient ZP100, ZP80 ... and Bridge.

...and that’s why I’m not interested. The core of my system is a trio of ZP100s. Plus a couple of Play 3s and a Play 5 which is maybe why they sent me the message. Never listening to more than two audio streams at a time.

(Small house… don’t really need a bridge except the ZP100 I had connected via Ethernet to start things off is also hooked up to a subwoofer and even after I switched to a shielded cables for the subwoofer hookup and ethernet, I could hear a low pitched flutter when the network was active.)

I recently replaced my Bridge with the Boost.  No particular reason.  It does seem to improve connectivity and performance of my devices, but it could be my mind playing tricks to justify the modest upgrade expense.  Psycho-acoustics are what it’s all about, right?  8-)

There’s nothing psycho-acoustic about a network connection. It either works, and delivers the audio packets on time, or it doesn’t. In the latter case the audio drops out; there’s no gradual degradation.

You did see my smiley face emoji, right?

There’s nothing psycho-acoustic about a network connection. It either works, and delivers the audio packets on time, or it doesn’t. In the latter case the audio drops out; there’s no gradual degradation.

You did see my smiley face emoji, right?

I missed that bit. But then this board has real emojis selectable in the post edit box. :wink:

Apart from the PSU issue, Bridge is a remnant of the inferior SonosNet 1.0 technology.
Ok- that’s a technological answer!
isit only inferior range compared to boost, or is there anything else it doesn’t “do”?
Basically it's a first generation radio. (We're on at least the third generation, introduced with Beam.)

So less range, less interference rejection.
Ok thx - so if I don’t have a range problem or interference problem it will soldier on for a bit longer..
Also another related point- if I buy an ikea Sonos speaker I assume that has the later chipsets and will give me the benefit of later sonosnet and some music for £99 rather than £100 - 30% or £84 in John Lewis?
Also another related point- if I buy an ikea Sonos speaker I assume that has the later chipsets and will give me the benefit of later sonosnet and some music for £99 rather than £100 - 30% or £84 in John Lewis?
You mean an IKEA bookshelf speaker instead of a Boost? I have no idea what quality of radio is in the IKEA units.

Boost was designed up to a spec, with enhanced interference rejection, to operate close to a router. One would imagine that the IKEA kit has been designed with cost as a primary consideration.
Ok thanks for the reply. I imagine it’s too expensive to design an alternate radio chipset for the ikea speaker, presumably a lower spec audio amp and cheaper materials. And probably a lower margin for IKEA.

im sure someone will break one and have a look! I can’t imagine a Sonos 1 costs more than £40-50 at the Shenzhen factory gate?
There are tear-down and hacking videos for the One and the IKEA speakers if you care to search them out.
Just wanted to check... your Bridge is used 'stand slone'. I assume you have another Sonos device wired to your network?
Just wanted to check... your Bridge is used 'stand slone'. I assume you have another Sonos device wired to your network?
There must be. Unwired Bridges and Boosts simply vanish into thin air if a system switches to WiFi mode.