Answered

sonos are suggesting i replace my bridge with Boost - why?

• 26 August 2019
  • 39 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

I would have to wonder if there’s an upcoming change in the way the software/transmission works that makes SonosNet 1.0 no longer viable, and in order to mitigate issues, they’re attempting to get people to upgrade before that happens.

Perhaps Sonos is being forced, by no-nothing magazine reviewers, to embrace "hi-rez" for no good technical reasons. It's mentioned in virtually every review as a "negative" of Sonos vs the competition. Would be sad, but marketing forces being what they are, who knows?
I would have to wonder if there’s an upcoming change in the way the software/transmission works that makes SonosNet 1.0 no longer viable, and in order to mitigate issues, they’re attempting to get people to upgrade before that happens.
But ZP100 and ZP80 use SonosNet 1.0.
A Connect is Ethernet connected to my router, the bridge is only used try and extend the Sonos as far as our Summerhouse maybe 50-60m away. The Wi-Fi is no problem as I use 4x BT whole home mesh Wi-Fi nodes
Just wanted to check... your Bridge is used 'stand slone'. I assume you have another Sonos device wired to your network?
There must be. Unwired Bridges and Boosts simply vanish into thin air if a system switches to WiFi mode.
Just wanted to check... your Bridge is used 'stand slone'. I assume you have another Sonos device wired to your network?
There are tear-down and hacking videos for the One and the IKEA speakers if you care to search them out.
Ok thanks for the reply. I imagine it’s too expensive to design an alternate radio chipset for the ikea speaker, presumably a lower spec audio amp and cheaper materials. And probably a lower margin for IKEA.

im sure someone will break one and have a look! I can’t imagine a Sonos 1 costs more than £40-50 at the Shenzhen factory gate?
Also another related point- if I buy an ikea Sonos speaker I assume that has the later chipsets and will give me the benefit of later sonosnet and some music for £99 rather than £100 - 30% or £84 in John Lewis?
You mean an IKEA bookshelf speaker instead of a Boost? I have no idea what quality of radio is in the IKEA units.

Boost was designed up to a spec, with enhanced interference rejection, to operate close to a router. One would imagine that the IKEA kit has been designed with cost as a primary consideration.
Also another related point- if I buy an ikea Sonos speaker I assume that has the later chipsets and will give me the benefit of later sonosnet and some music for £99 rather than £100 - 30% or £84 in John Lewis?
Ok thx - so if I don’t have a range problem or interference problem it will soldier on for a bit longer..
Basically it's a first generation radio. (We're on at least the third generation, introduced with Beam.)

So less range, less interference rejection.
Ok- that’s a technological answer!
isit only inferior range compared to boost, or is there anything else it doesn’t “do”?
Apart from the PSU issue, Bridge is a remnant of the inferior SonosNet 1.0 technology.