Answered

Sonos Amp and High level input from Subwooder?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just curious; why do you need this? To present the main speakers with the full signal or to do the same to the Sub, using the Sub crossover for filtering?
And for getting either/both, won't high level connections work - the REL seems to have hum issues with these, but that seems to be a REL thing, not one related to high level connections as such.

I like to cross over with a sub as low as possible, if main speakers go there. If they roll off smoothly at the low end then I just cross over using the filter in the sub while feeding main speakers full range. As you say, an option with the Sonos Amp is to feed the sub a speaker level signal to do this. But that is not always the nicest option, Or there might be a problem with this, like hum that the OP of this thread is having. I just don't understand why Sonos would not have the option to output full range to the main speakers with sub output connected.
I just don't understand why Sonos would not have the option to output full range to the main speakers with sub output connected.
No idea; it isn't there in the Connect Amp either. And in the Connect Amp, the crossover is set at 80hz, no choices; of course if a Sonos Sub is being added, crossover can be chosen from 50Hz to 110 Hz. I remember seeing that the Sonos Amp offers this option for third party Subs as well, so that should address your needs. I can't see that much would be lost regardless of how capable the main speakers are for low frequencies, if the crossover is set to as low as 50hz.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I remember seeing that the Sonos Amp offers this option for third party Subs as well, so that should address your needs. I can't see that much would be lost regardless of how capable the main speakers are for low frequencies, if the crossover is set to as low as 50hz.
Yes, the amp does work with 3rd party subs this way. That is how I am using it, with the 50hz crossover setting (my main speakers go to about 45Hz). But with main speakers that go a little lower than this I might not want to run it this way. I appreciate when manufacturers try to give customers as much flexibility as reasonably possible, and also when they are open about providing technical information. I think Sonos comes up short here, even though I have been happy with their products.