Setting up Port with Marantz amp

• 26 February 2021
  • 3 replies

So my set up is 4 Sonos One's in various rooms in my house. Aso have a Sonos Beam in the Living room. In one other room I have a Marantz PM6006 Amplifier which has a Marantz CD6006 CD player, Project Essential turntable and some Monitor speakers all connected to it. I've now bought a Sonos Port. Connected the Port to the Marantz Amp and streaming Spotify through that and all synced up with music playing throughout the house including the Monitor speakers. So no issues there. My issue is connecting the Amp so I can play records and CD's through my Sonos system. I've connected some RCA cables from the Aux Line In on the Port to the only Audio Out in the Amp which is referenced under Recorder. Although I am able to play a record on the turntable and hear it on the Sonos One's and also the Monitor speakers the Sonos One's are about a second behind the Monitors. I guess my question is have I set that up right? If I haven't what should I do so all speakers are synced? If I have set up right again what can I do to sync them all?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Any Sonos line in has a slight delay, which provides them the opportunity to transcode to digital from analog (a relatively small amount of time) and to buffer the signal (much more time than the other) so it can be played without delay across any and all Sonos ‘rooms’ in your system. 

If I understand your situation properly, you should take the line in from the turntable, and then send that back out from the Port to the amplifier at the same time as the Sonos speakers. Because all speakers are then playing the Sonos stream, and not two separate things, they should be in sync.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Unfortunately what you’re trying to achieve isn’t possible with a lot of modern amps. You need to be able to send the signal from one source (eg your turntable or CD player) to your Port while sending the signal from a different source (your Port) to your Monitor Audio speakers.

There are a couple of ways to achieve this on older amps. The ideal way is to use the “tape monitor” selector that was once common. You attach the Port output to the tape/record input on the amp, and the amp sends the signal from that input to the speakers regardless of which source is selected. This is nice because when you aren’t using your Sonos speakers you can turn the tape monitor off and bypass the Port.

The other method is to use “pre out” and “main in” connections that also used to be more common. The pre out goes to the Port input, and the Port output goes to the main in. The downside to this arrangement is that the Port will always be part of the signal path, even when you’re not using your Sonos speakers.

From a quick look at the specs for the PM6006 I don’t think either of those options are available to you. There are ways to do it with some additional equipment but no real elegant solution that I can think of.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The solution would be to trade the Port for the Sonos Amp.  Your loudspeakers would connect to the Sonos Amp.  Hook the record out on the Marantz to the line input on the Sonos Amp.  The Record out will play whatever source you select on the Marantz.  The Sonos Amp will play in sync with the other Sonos speakers and is a great sounding amp.