Skip to main content
Question

Port dropping out on S2 app using turntable through Amp & Port

• 7 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I have a Pro Ject Debut Carbon EVO TT connected to the phono RCA on a Marantz PM7000n amp. I have a Marantz CD6007 connected to the CD RCA on the amp. I have a Sonos Port connected to the amp via the recorder out RCA to connect to my era 300’s in stereo mode. Both TT, CD player and network radio all play music to my connected Sonos ERA 300’s. The issue I have is that every time I turn a record over or just lift the stylus from the record the Amp disappears from the ‘line in’ as a source in my Sonos S2 app. It states ‘source unknown’. The issue doesn’t happen if I change a CD.  I then have a nightmare waiting for the Port to display again in the app so I can select it as the line source. It just steps unknown until I close and open  the app a few times. It’s a right pain!! The port is set to source level 2 (AV component), line out is set to fixed and audio delay is set to 2000 ms. I’ve tried every setting in the app for the port to stop it dropping out from my app. Does anyone have any ideas. Many thanks.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dibbs841 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

Sorry to hear of the issue you have been having when flipping records over - it sounds annoying!

I find it strange that you do not see the same behaviour when changing CDs, though - as the needle on the turntable never really stops producing a signal, I would have expected the CD going digitally silent to be more likely to cause this behaviour than a turntable.

I’d like to simplify matters, if you don’t mind. Assuming you either have a pre-amp or the turntable has one built-in (I think the Sonos edition of your turntable does, but I don’t think the version you has does), I’d like to determine if you see the same issue when bypassing the Marantz amplifier and connecting the turntable directly to the Port (or via a separate pre-amp). If you are able to do this and see the same behaviour, please submit a support diagnostic and let me know here when you have done so (please don’t share the given number here though).

If you don’t have a pre-amp to use, please try connecting the CD player directly to the Port and see if you can produce the same behaviour. Please submit a support diagnostic in this case too, if you are able to reproduce.

I look forward to hearing back from you.