My Sonos Amp Review.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have been very close to buying the new AMP, but after reading several tests of this amplifier where everyone is mention the bright harsh treble, I decided to listen to the AMP in a HiFi shop and on several different speakers, and yes this amplifier has a problem with the treble.
If you auditioned expecting to hear something, it's not really a big surprise that you did. This is known as expectation bias. I'm assuming that your listening didn't include any blind tests with other amplifiers?
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I have been very close to buying the new AMP, but after reading several tests of this amplifier where everyone is mention the bright harsh treble, I decided to listen to the AMP in a HiFi shop and on several different speakers, and yes this amplifier has a problem with the treble.
Personally, I am very surpised that Sonos can bring such an amplifier to the market, I can only believe that this it is a mistake or that Sonos has deliberately attempted to voice this amplifier for an very analytical studio monitor sound.
As for my part, I await a suggestion from Sonos on how they plan to make this amplifier playing with a linear pleasing sound.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
You mean using an electronic component for a while changes the sound? Not true. Im hoping Sonos hear comments relating to the top and correct it with a firmware update soonest.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Not sure the purpose of the DAC or anything else. Just know it sounded better. On the ‘breaking in’ front, that’s a myth.

I have read enough reviews of the Sonos Amp mentioning brightness in the treble to believe this is not a myth. My experience with the amp confirms that as well. Try eliminating what seems to be unnecessary equipment from your setup after your Sonos Amp has broken in and report back.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Not sure the purpose of the DAC or anything else. Just know it sounded better. On the ‘breaking in’ front, that’s a myth.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Just bought an amp to replace ZP90-DAC-Yamaha amplifier, primarily so I can add on the Sonos Sub. Hooked it up and it sounds OK. Harsh at the top end even when EQ’d and sounds ‘boxy’. Lots more bass and detail though. So I added the ZP90 and DAC to the line in and bingo. Top end much better - harshness gone and sounds better that the Yamaha in pure direct. Phew! Thought I’d wasted 600 quid for a minute.

I would let the Sono Amp breakin with music for several hours before judging the sound quality. No harshness from mine after doing so. Your setup seems strange to me using the ZP90 along with the Sonos Amp. What purpose does the DAC serve in this setup?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just bought an amp to replace ZP90-DAC-Yamaha amplifier, primarily so I can add on the Sonos Sub. Hooked it up and it sounds OK. Harsh at the top end even when EQ’d and sounds ‘boxy’. Lots more bass and detail though. So I added the ZP90 and DAC to the line in and bingo. Top end much better - harshness gone and sounds better that the Yamaha in pure direct. Phew! Thought I’d wasted 600 quid for a minute.
I assume you realise that you're going digital -> analog in the ZP90/DAC combo, then analog -> digital -> analog again in the Amp?

Personally, I've not detected any harshness or boxiness in my use of the Amp, but it may be speaker dependent, and may also depend on whether there's a sub present or not.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Very good review, thank you. Consistent with my experience, though all I did was swap a Connect:Amp for the new Amp, driving a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 floor-standers. (A completely unnecessary amplifier upgrade, but I couldn't resist it.)

1. It really needs a headphone jack. It's the one thing I will miss from my current DAC. I have a set of Sennheiser 650s that I use when the wife wants quiet, but now I won't have that. I can always use them with the iphone directly but the Senns need a good headphone amp to bring out the best.
I fully agree. In a different location I have a Connect hooked up to a 5.1 amplifier for home theatre duties, and I quite frequently use its headphone socket to listen to Sonos. It's a shame I can't do the same with the Amp.
Good review. The amp performance is what I would expect from my experience of two Connect Amps that replaced amps similar to yours. My speakers were easy loads with impedances never dropping below 5 ohms, so that allowed the Connect Amps to be more than adequate and I haven't missed my heavy amps at all.
The small footprint and elimination of cable clutter is a huge blessing; one of my amps was a two box set up with a preamplifier.
My Connect Amps are from 2011 and work fine, but are not built to last for decades with occasional service support as the earlier amps were. For the price difference, that is quite acceptable I think.