I miss the REAL mute button!

• 29 October 2013
  • 29 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Hi Roger,

You can still effectively 'mute' a single zone in a group by holding down the minus button.  Holding down minus will rapidly decrease the volume on the player until it's muted, at a much faster rate than before.  Give it a try, it's a quick way to drop the volume in a single room, much like the old mute button functionality.  

Plus, you'll also have the new ability to easily pause and resume the music everywhere, and quickly skip tracks with a double-tap of the button.

+1   Well said Jeff, your example of throwing a party and wanting to mute one room is excellent.  As another example, my wife is sometimes working in her office and would just like that room muted without having to go into the app to do it.  

I also like your suggestion of holding down the mute button to pause (or mute for that matter).  

Sonos, you do so many things so well, this is the first time I can think of that you messed up.  At best this is confusing from an interface standpoint, at worst you've managed to remove a really nice piece of functionality with no realistic replacement.  Please fix this!

- Roger
Hi Roger,

You can still effectively 'mute' a single zone in a group by holding down the minus button.  Holding down minus will rapidly decrease the volume on the player until it's muted, at a much faster rate than before.  Give it a try, it's a quick way to drop the volume in a single room, much like the old mute button functionality.  

Plus, you'll also have the new ability to easily pause and resume the music everywhere, and quickly skip tracks with a double-tap of the button.

Cool and all, but is not discoverable for someone not used to Sonos and just wants to mute the player. The speaker with a line through it is much more discoverable, but now with unintended consequences. Someone wanting to simply pause one player in a back room at a party to make a phone call wouldn't know this and could inadvertently kill the music for the whole party. Not cool.

If you're going to drastically modify behavior for a subset of people, then I would suggest doing something like holding down the mute button for pause rather than changing existing, default behavior. Your suggestion is a crappy backpedal for a feature Sonos knew would be disliked.
Yeah but rapidly decreasing by pressing the button and holding, and quickly pressing a button to instantly mute are two different things. Especially when you consider that pressing mute again doesn't return it to its previous setting volume! This is NOT the same. Please consider making this configurable. This is really inconvenient the way it is now configured. Roger
Badge +18
Hi Roger,