Firmware update to Port to fix Variable output problem?

• 21 February 2021
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

It seems to be well known that the Port suffers from a problem with the Variable Output sound quality.

Has this been established to be audible in a controlled blind listening test? I have’t seen any reported anywhere.

And if you are concerned about sound quality in the abstract, there is the option of using the fixed outputs of the Port, or to go even further, an external DAC.

In Passthrough mode the Sonos output is fixed, and the Sonos app directly controls volume in a downstream "works with Sonos" amp or receiver, ii.e. one that's able to accept network commands from the controller. 

Ahh ok...a nice best of both worlds solution then which also solves the thread title problem. Has that always been a feature of the Port since the beginning? And are such amps proliferating among the mainstream brands like Sony now?

I have a suspicion the Passthrough facility pre-existed Port, probably works on Connect and maybe even earlier. As for the breadth of “works with Sonos” support I haven’t a clue. Onkyo is the name that most readily springs to mind.

To avoid a religious war, let me rephrase: 

My question was not directed just to you - there has been so much said even on this site on this “issue”, but as far as I know, there is no actual objective listening test that has been able to pick this out. 

Hence what was intended to be an open question to others here as well, out of genuine curiosity. 

I have a suspicion the Passthrough facility pre-existed Port, probably works on Connect and maybe even earlier. As for the breadth of “works with Sonos” support I haven’t a clue. Onkyo is the name that most readily springs to mind.

But how does one choose it, assuming the amp is compliant? Or is this an S2 thing?