Firmware update to Port to fix Variable output problem?

• 21 February 2021
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Significant odd-harmonic distortion, clearly audible and displaying the usual patterns in a spectral analysis.

Clearly audible and gross enough to rule out the need for any listening blind test?

Also, this issue does not arise with the analog outputs, either in variable or fixed modes?

as far as I know, there is no actual objective listening test that has been able to pick this out. 

When I tested early on, the soft-knee limiting was very obvious with Variable Volume when running sine wave test signals at, or near to, full scale. Significant odd-harmonic distortion, clearly audible and displaying the usual patterns in a spectral analysis.

IIRC the output limiting ceased to be apparent when the volume setting was below about 85%. This was with input samples peaking at full scale.

I have no idea whether Sonos have since issued an update making the limiting less aggressive. They tend not to mention such things.

It’s worth pointing out that any digital device with an S/PDIF output that’s capable of increasing the samples (by volume or EQ) will typically have a limiter of some kind, so as to protect the S/PDIF from hard clipping. With real music, the ‘soft clipping’ which might occur occasionally at high volume levels is far preferable to hard clipping.

To avoid a religious war, let me rephrase: 

My question was not directed just to you - there has been so much said even on this site on this “issue”, but as far as I know, there is no actual objective listening test that has been able to pick this out. 

Hence what was intended to be an open question to others here as well, out of genuine curiosity. 

To avoid a religious war, let me rephrase: 

Has Sonos updated - or announced an update - to the variable output functionality?

It seems to be well known that the Port suffers from a problem with the Variable Output sound quality.

Has this been established to be audible in a controlled blind listening test? I have’t seen any reported anywhere.

And if you are concerned about sound quality in the abstract, there is the option of using the fixed outputs of the Port, or to go even further, an external DAC.