Answered

Changing the name of a speaker

• 6 January 2017
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Wire one Sonos component. A Sonos system in WiFi/'wireless' mode attached to a mesh WiFi is not a good idea. With the players forced to use different channels, performance will be suboptimal.
Badge
Yes to the Apple Homekit but I hardly use. I plan to purchase the Boost to hopefully improve performance. Is getting the Boost a waste of money when I plan to set up a home theatre and two sonos ones will be in the same Media Room. Since I hate wires all the equipment including the mesh network are located in a closet and the position of the second sonos one hard wired to the Mesh network might not be the ideal location. The second issue is the velop router only has one ethernet port which i current use for vonage. Thanks for the feedback.
Is getting the Boost a waste of money when I plan to set up a home theatre and two sonos ones will be in the same Media Room. Since I hate wires all the equipment including the mesh network are located in a closet and the position of the second sonos one hard wired to the Mesh network might not be the ideal location.If the Ones are intended to be surround speakers, using one of them as the sole wired device is not recommended.

The second issue is the velop router only has one ethernet port which i current use for vonage.
The Boost has two Ethernet ports, partly to cope with this kind of situation. The Vonage could be daisy-chained through the Boost.
Badge
Appreciate the feedback. I will purchase the Boost.
John B’s question about Apple HomeKit is relative as there have been several issues reported in this forum where the HomeKit app appears to be resetting/controlling the name of the speaker. Some users have reported changing the name in the Sonos App, and finding that the name gets changed back to what the Apple thinks it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You said they removed the entire Room Settings feature from Desktop because it required auth, and that is incorrect. They could have left it all as it was, and simply not attempted to add Volume Limit to Desktop, and pissed off a lot fewer people.

They decided to throw the baby [All Room Settings] out with the bathwater [Volume Limit].
You said they removed the entire Room Settings feature from Desktop because it required auth, and that is incorrect.
Sonos chose to put all room settings behind auth on other controllers for security reasons. It stands to reason that they would want consistency across platforms.