Adding Bridge to system to help Play 5 (Gen 1) connectivity

• 3 September 2022
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Does it matter if 1 product is on WM1? It’s working OK. 

If it’s a Play:1 that’s paired with another which is WM:0 then it could matter. Anyway it’s not correct to have any on WM:1 (WiFi); they should all be WM:0 (on SonosNet). 

I got the bridge as I didn’t think Boost was compatible with Play 5 (1st Gen) - or maybe that’s changed? Anyway, I need to fully test if the bridge has solved the drop out issue on the Play 5. If it doesn’t would Boost be the next step (ie is it ‘better’ than the bridge - assuming compatibility).

Nothing’s changed. The Boost has always been compatible with both S1 systems and S2 systems. Yes, it’s a better ‘Bridge’, with a more modern radio that has better range and interference rejection. 

BOOST has more advanced WiFi capability and is compatible with S1 or S2 systems.

Badge

If all your devices are showing WM:0 then you’re all set. If some are still stuck on WM:1 then try (a) powering them off and on again and (b) changing the SonosNet wireless channel (in Settings/System/Network) to see if you can make them behave.

As for the Bridge power supply, it could start to lose output voltage with age. As the voltage gradually declines it will give rise to various intermittent connectivity problems that could infuriate. Assuming the SonosNet (WM:0) arrangement works better I’d advise replacing the Bridge with a Boost. If the last owner of the Bridge hasn’t claimed the upgrade voucher that would entitle you to 30% off the new Boost.

Hi there

Thanks again for replying. Does it matter if 1 product is on WM1? It’s working OK. 

Thanks for the info on the power supply.

I got the bridge as I didn’t think Boost was compatible with Play 5 (1st Gen) - or maybe that’s changed? Anyway, I need to fully test if the bridge has solved the drop out issue on the Play 5. If it doesn’t would Boost be the next step (ie is it ‘better’ than the bridge - assuming compatibility).

Once again thanks for your helpful reply

Brucie

If all your devices are showing WM:0 then you’re all set. If some are still stuck on WM:1 then try (a) powering them off and on again and (b) changing the SonosNet wireless channel (in Settings/System/Network) to see if you can make them behave.

As for the Bridge power supply, it could start to lose output voltage with age. As the voltage gradually declines it will give rise to various intermittent connectivity problems that could infuriate. Assuming the SonosNet (WM:0) arrangement works better I’d advise replacing the Bridge with a Boost. If the last owner of the Bridge hasn’t claimed the upgrade voucher that would entitle you to 30% off the new Boost.

Badge

Might want to recheck the compatibility of your Play 1s, they should work with the Bridge, well if it is actually working properly.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

If you try a split S1 S2 setup here are some good reads:

https://support.sonos.com/s/global-search/s1%20s2?language=en_US

Hi there and thanks for the reply

It seems that one of my Play 1’s has connected to the bridge (checking in ‘about my system’ - it’s showing as WM0). So I guess they are compatible! Does this mean that I don’t have to do anything else - it has automatically swapped over from wifi? I need to stay on S1 for the play 5 - so as long as all my products work, maybe I don’t have to do a S1/S2 split (which I read and it made my brain hurt….)

thanks again

Badge

You say you’ve connected the Bridge, but it sounds as if you may have only wired it to the router. Is it visible in your Sonos app, along with the other speakers? Look in Settings/System/About. If not then you haven’t gone through the key step of actually adding the Bridge to the system. In that case get back to us for further direction.

By the way, your Bridge was so cheap because they’re obsolete technology, and their power supplies (wall warts) have a habit of flaking out as they age. No harm in giving it a try though.

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to respond.

The bridge is showing in the app. Later, I googled how to see if your products are connected via the bridge (WM0) or my wifi (WM1). It looks like the Play 5 and one of my Play 1’s are on Sonosnet and the other play 1 on the wifi. I didn’t think play 1’s could use the bridge? But is this saying that the play 5 IS now connected via sonosnet (as I wanted to)??

I get that the bridge is old but I thought for £2 I would give it a shot! If the plug fails, I can always get a new one that’s compatible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Might want to recheck the compatibility of your Play 1s, they should work with the Bridge, well if it is actually working properly.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

If you try a split S1 S2 setup here are some good reads:

https://support.sonos.com/s/global-search/s1%20s2?language=en_US

You say you’ve connected the Bridge, but it sounds as if you may have only wired it to the router. Is it visible in your Sonos app, along with the other speakers? Look in Settings/System/About. If not then you haven’t gone through the key step of actually adding the Bridge to the system. In that case get back to us for further direction.

By the way, your Bridge was so cheap because they’re obsolete technology, and their power supplies (wall warts) have a habit of flaking out as they age. No harm in giving it a try though.