Computer output to Sonos One

For listening to music I use (and love) Apple Play. But I also would like to have my computer audio output be able to play through Sonos. Do I need Connect:amp for this? In other words: if I would connect my Apple audio out to the audio in of the Connect:amp will it play back wireless through my Sonos speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Not a Connect:Amp, that is for powering external passive speakers. You would need a Connect.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
a connect and a bluetooth dongle with a bluetooth extender. Something like this will let you connect your computer and sonos through bluetooth. So no cabling. If you have a play5 just add the bluetooth extender, and done.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B01H6I3YGK
Thanks shoturtle...only i don't have a play5, only play one (the latest version) I guess the sonos connect is my best option then. I don't mind plugging in cables...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The connect will work well. I uses to have one hooked up to my old stereo system. But I am a macbook user. So I found bluetooth pairing worked for me best over wired.
A Connect is a very expensive way of getting a line in. If you have a Mac I would be tempted to wait for Airplay 2 on Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
look for a used one, if you are looking to save a bit. As the OP stated he only have play 1, so he will need to upgrade to a sonos one to get airplay2 support. As the latest info form sonos is, you need on sonos one, to get airplay2 for the whole system. Or go with the connect.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Nar easier than that. Google “stream what you hear” this free software creates a stream which you play by by setting up radio station. Really simple to do !
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
that is for windows only, not mac that the op has.
Want audio from series i am watching on my computer to come out of my playbase. Do i have to buy a connect?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Want audio from series i am watching on my computer to come out of my playbase. Do i have to buy a connect?

Hi there,

To use your Playbase as a speaker for your computer, you'll need a wired connection. The best way would be to run an optical audio output from your computer to the input on the Playbase. This will give you low-latency audio. The other way to do so would be to use the line-in port on a Play:5, Connect, or Connect:Amp. You could then group together the Playbase and the unit with line-in to share the computer audio. Using line-in has higher latency though, so the audio may not be in perfect sync with video if that's what you're listening to. Here's some more information on using line-in with Sonos.