Computer output to Sonos One

For listening to music I use (and love) Apple Play. But I also would like to have my computer audio output be able to play through Sonos. Do I need Connect:amp for this? In other words: if I would connect my Apple audio out to the audio in of the Connect:amp will it play back wireless through my Sonos speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Want audio from series i am watching on my computer to come out of my playbase. Do i have to buy a connect?

Hi there,

To use your Playbase as a speaker for your computer, you'll need a wired connection. The best way would be to run an optical audio output from your computer to the input on the Playbase. This will give you low-latency audio. The other way to do so would be to use the line-in port on a Play:5, Connect, or Connect:Amp. You could then group together the Playbase and the unit with line-in to share the computer audio. Using line-in has higher latency though, so the audio may not be in perfect sync with video if that's what you're listening to. Here's some more information on using line-in with Sonos.
Want audio from series i am watching on my computer to come out of my playbase. Do i have to buy a connect?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
that is for windows only, not mac that the op has.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Nar easier than that. Google “stream what you hear” this free software creates a stream which you play by by setting up radio station. Really simple to do !
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
look for a used one, if you are looking to save a bit. As the OP stated he only have play 1, so he will need to upgrade to a sonos one to get airplay2 support. As the latest info form sonos is, you need on sonos one, to get airplay2 for the whole system. Or go with the connect.
A Connect is a very expensive way of getting a line in. If you have a Mac I would be tempted to wait for Airplay 2 on Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The connect will work well. I uses to have one hooked up to my old stereo system. But I am a macbook user. So I found bluetooth pairing worked for me best over wired.
Thanks shoturtle...only i don't have a play5, only play one (the latest version) I guess the sonos connect is my best option then. I don't mind plugging in cables...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
a connect and a bluetooth dongle with a bluetooth extender. Something like this will let you connect your computer and sonos through bluetooth. So no cabling. If you have a play5 just add the bluetooth extender, and done.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B01H6I3YGK
Not a Connect:Amp, that is for powering external passive speakers. You would need a Connect.