Question

Best way to connect Marantz PM6006 to Sonos Connect

• 18 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi everybody.

I have a Marantz PM6006 amp that I use with a turntable and a pair of speakers and I bought a Sonos Connect. I want to play the vinyl discs in multiroom, but also play the liquid music on the speakers.

http://m.us.marantz.com/us/mobile/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=&ProductId=PM6006

I understand that the only way to send the audio signal from amp to Connect is using the RECORDER AUDIO OUT with a RCA cable to the ANALOG AUDIO IN

Am I right?

To do the opposite (play the music from Connect to the speakers, through the amp), I have 3 options:

RCA from ANALOG AUDIO OUT

OPTICAL from DIGITAL AUDIO OUT

COAX from DIGITAL AUDIO OUT

Which one is the best choice?

My choice would be COAX, because I expect the DAC of PM6006 performs better than the DAC of Connect.

I would not use optical, to avoid the double conversion: digital-optical-digital

What do you think?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Coax would be my first choice, optical second and the tape in last - but still pretty good sounding. I couldn’t tell the difference in the three with my old ZP-80s.

Its really down to which cable you have lying around.

Thanks for your replies.

Other than the power cables to the speakers, the amp is connected to the turntable on the Phono input and to a Blu-ray player (that I am mainly using as CD player) on the Optical 1.

I am also thinking to connect the TV to the Optical 2, but still to be decided, because if I do, then I have to turn on the amp everytime I turn on the TV.

It's a Sony KD55-A1, the sound is pretty good at my hears. Most probably the speakers (bookshelf type, placed symmetrically on the sides of the TV) would be better, but it is not, anyway, a home theater.