Sonos abandoned their customers

• 8 September 2019
  • 5 replies

The only reason I purchased Sonos was for the compatibility with my iPhone. The sales person pointed out Sonos vs other available systems and demonstrated how easy Sonos paired with my iPhone. No streaming apps or other options necessary. So I went full in. My house is totally Sonos linked to my music library and playlists on my iPhone. And now Sonos has killed the only reason it was purchased. I understand technology upgrades, as Sonos seems to force weekly, but now my entire purchase is useless. I'm not on a streaming service, (extra cost) and I don't use a PC for iTunes. Bottom line, I spent a lot of money on Sonos vs Bose, and Sonos abandoned their advertised product. Looking forward to the class action. I'll be first in line!

5 replies

If you've read the main thread, or any of the many, many, other threads on this issue, you'd have seen that a streaming service is available that does not have an extra cost.

However, you seem to be rather put out by this change that was made by Apple that forced Sonos and other companies to remove this convenience. I can't help you on that point.

Nor does my Sonos system need weekly updates, but perhaps your system is different than mine.

I wish you the best of luck.
Couldn't agree more, I invested near on 7 grand on speakers and ipads for them to remove this feature and it is a very bitter pill to swallow. There are other options as I'm sure you are aware but in some instances these are not viable options for people. Unfortunately as I have had too you will just have to adapt.It's easy to blame apple but when i bought my first speakers streaming services were not even available and they made it work fine with apple devices. I'm sure they could find a way to fix this but maybe they just don't have the will to want to support the existing customers and are more focused on new ones.

If a class action comes out count me in.
Couldn't agree more, I invested near on 7 grand on speakers and ipads for them to remove this feature and it is a very bitter pill to swallow. There are other options as I'm sure you are aware but in some instances these are not viable options for people. Unfortunately as I have had too you will just have to adapt.It's easy to blame apple but when i bought my first speakers streaming services were not even available and they made it work fine with apple devices. I'm sure they could find a way to fix this but maybe they just don't have the will to want to support the existing customers and are more focused on new ones.

If a class action comes out count me in.

If you bought your Sonos devices before streaming services were available, you bought them well before "On this iDevice" was implemented. Streaming services have been on Sonos since before the iPhone existed. The first, Rhapsody, was supported way back in 2005.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Bottom line, I spent a lot of money on Sonos vs Bose, and Sonos abandoned their advertised product. Looking forward to the class action. I'll be first in line!

As I understand it, Bose 'abandoned' their entire existing product line of wifi speakers in order to support a new line with Alexa capabilities. I'm sure they will provide basic updates to keep the system running for a few years, but surely will drop support as soon as they can justify it.

Now that's not that's exactly a fair comparison, and there are surely some that would rather have a system that can always fall back on bluetooth after wifi support is gone, however, there are positives and negatives with different support models.
I believe the reasons given for withdrawing the ‘on my iphone’ facility are fatuous and the move is a betrayal of Sonos customers. A successful company like Sonos really should be ashamed of this move as the super convenient facility like this is important to customers who invested in Sonos play speakers which now don’t even feature in your tick boxes for joining this forum. Not good enough. End of Sonos kit for me. What will you kill off next ?