Answered

"Legacy" Products - way to go sonos, keep deleting the posts of customers you've already enraged

• 21 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3

The “announcement” wasn’t bad enough, now you’re deleting the posts of the customers you’ve just angered?  Well done.  I'm sure this will gone in a matter of minutes…. 

This a completely ridiculous stance for the company to take.  They clearly don’t care what impact this obvious money grab will have on their customer base or the reputation.  No new features? Fine.  Saying that not only won’t you maintain these devices, but keeping them instead of spending for new ones renders all of your other devices obsolete?!? Are you kidding me?!  Come up with ONE example of ANY other company that has done something so egregious, SONOS.  Even remotely.  Seriously.  Give it a shot.  Already researching what other brand to go to when I sell my current products and dump “legacy” ones… 

And btw - pricing on the Port? Absolutely insane. I has the same receiver in it as any other speaker, and only a line out.  Yet it costs almost as much as a Play:5, your flagship speaker??!  When it’s literally a few components ripped out of it!?  Also ridiculous.  (I have two Connects, so clearly I was willing to spend the money on them...but at 5 years old each, being told I have to spend another $900 (I know, minus 30%) is enraging.  

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 21 January 2020, 18:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I have 13 SONOS units. Today, SONOS sent an email announcing that 10 of the units will no longer get software updates as of May 2020. So, if any music service,  MS Windows, or Apple makes a security change after May 2020 that the existing software doesn’t agree with, then my system will stop operating.  The replacement cost of these 10 units is $4,650 and even with 30% offered for trade-ins, my outlay to keep my system operating will be $3,255. SONOS’s management should keep a software update track for “legacy” equipment in order for existing functionality to remain working.

Userlevel 3
Badge

[I was replying to a previous post, “You greedy bastards….”, which was deleted by the time I hit “Send”. I’ll post it here which will now probably also be deleted in a few minutes. I guess the Sonos “community” has become a dictatorship.]

This is one of the most egregious cases of exploiting a captive customer base in the interests of profit that I have ever seen. I am an “IT guy” and if we pulled the plug on support for a hardware/software version with 3 months notice we would have been out of business years ago (Microsoft gave 5 years notice for end of support for Windows 7 for example). You can do this once, Sonos, but now your (ex-)loyal customers are forewarned and may well choose one of the many alternatives now on the market when their systems no longer work. Shameful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, we’re not deleting any posts, but there are a lot of stub threads, like this one, and we’re merging them all into the main post, found here. I’m going to leave this thread as is, but I’m going to close it for future comments. Let’s try to keep the discussion in one place. You must have been posting at the time when that thread was merged, which could have caused an error on submission. Sorry about that!