Feature Request: add Dante Audio integration to Port

• 2 February 2022
  • 3 replies

I own a professional music studio & production facility… audio is routed through our facility using our Dante network which integrates seamlessly with our existing network switches/infrastructure.

Dante is quickly becoming the state-of-the-art, industry-standard for professional digital audio routing & a lack of Dante support for Sonos is the only thing stopping us from going “all in” on Sonos for our general facilities. Dante is Ethernet based, so it should in theory be possible to add compatibility with the Sonos Port via a software update 

Also – POE powered Sonos speakers would be A+++ 🙏

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @94deadbeat,

Thanks for your requests! 

I was lucky enough to be in music college at the time when Dante was first being rolled out in our campus and it vastly improved how the recording studios were linked up. I can certainly see how it could be used inside the Sonos ecosystem, though it’s unlikely to be noticed or used for the vast majority of customers.

I’ve also certainly seen a few users over the years requesting PoE speakers, and I can see where those would be useful in a variety of installs. I’ve passed your requests on to our development teams for consideration :slight_smile:

Dante is a network protocol for digital audio over IP, developed by Harman International. It allows professional audio devices to be interconnected over a standard IP network, replacing a traditional analog audio patch bay. Dante Devices, Dante Racks and Dante Audio Gateways can be interconnected via standard IP protocols over a LAN, WAN or the Internet. Dante Audio Gateways can be used to connect Dante Devices to analog audio devices over the IP network.

It does beg the question of effort versus return on the effort to add such a feature to a home music system, which doesn’t seem to be trying to be a professional level speaker system. If I were the Product Manager at Sonos, I’d be trying to answer two questions: what is the amount of programming time needed to integrate this, and how many additional sales of speakers will it generate? 

Speaking personally, I don’t have access to any of that data.