Question

Dry humidity and Sonos speaker surrounds. Impact?

• 31 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I find my room’s humidity to be at 27-30% these days,due to extreme cold in the Northeast USA.

I have a humidifier running,but wonder if this low-ish humidity can have a long term negative affect on the speaker surrounds…..I assume(and hope) that Sonos took this into consideration upon the design….

Thanks in advance for any input

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hi @Magictwanger 

I’m not a Sonos engineer/designer. However, prolonged extreme conditions (emphasis on extreme) will impact any speaker surround causing it to degrade faster than those speakers in a more moderate environment/climate 

An interesting fact is that speaker surrounds can degrade in a moderate environment for lack of use. Movement of surrounds acts as a lubricant (if you will) to keep them flexible. That said environment is not the only consideration to ensure the maximum life of a speaker (components). 

In the end virtually all flexible plastic, rubber and polymers will stiffen and harden with age. Kind’a like humans. LOL. 

If you want a definitive answer I suggest you contact Sonos. However, you probably get answer similar to what I’ve written. JMO.

Cheers!