Did Sonos just screw us again?

• 28 February 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

So we all remember the debacle last year when we were told that our older devices wouldn’t be getting updates after a certain time, but we could brick them for recycling and get 30%.  According to Sonos I had several devices that would fall into this category, but everything else was good to go.

Now I login and I’m told my Sound Bar and two of my Play:1 speakers aren’t compatible with S2, which I’ve downloaded and seems to be working great with them...but hey, according to Sonos I should upgrade them...but this time they’re only giving a 15% upgrade credit.

Why do I feel like we’re getting bent over again?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’m not especially defensive of Sonos, but aren’t the things that they offer - such as the previous ability to “brick” a device for a discount, or the current ability to claim a discount but keep using it - just offers?

In what way are you being “screwed” when you can simply choose not to take the offer, and continue to use the devices with the S1 app?

Ok, you “only” get 15% off, but you get to keep the old device, and you can continue using it? In what way is that “getting bent over”?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

ALOT of speakers are S2 compatible including the Play 1s you mentioned. They’re just pushing another discount to get people to upgrade their equipment for the new features they plan on releasing. It’s actually a nice gesture vs buying all your stuff over again. You still get the 30% if you’re device is S1 only. 
I had an S1 Connect amp and got have my 30% discount sitting there and it does not expire. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Now I login and I’m told my Sound Bar and two of my Play:1 speakers aren’t compatible with S2,

Please post a screenshot of this as proof. No “sound bar” or Play:1 device is incompatible with S2.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now I login and I’m told my Sound Bar and two of my Play:1 speakers aren’t compatible with S2,

Please post a screenshot of this as proof. No “sound bar” or Play:1 device is incompatible with S2.

You have 2 products in your system that are not compatible with the new app, Sonos S2. Learn about your options below.
Stay on S1
Continue to enjoy your system as you do now. However, you won't receive new features or be able to add S2 products.
Upgrade
Save up to 30% on any new product and get your system ready to update to S2.
Remove S1 products
Use the app to remove incompatible products and immediately update the rest of your system to S2.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Sonos should maybe do a partnership with an optician and extend their discount ‘offer’. ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You have 2 products in your system that are not compatible with the new app, Sonos S2. Learn about your options below.

Wow, that section of the web site is broken. The actual list of compatible items has not changed, and is here:

I note that the 15% discount I am offered, on similar hardware to yours, is for S2-capable stuff. I have a 30% discount available for my S1-only hardware, which makes more sense.

Badge +17

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify things a bit here, we currently offer a 30% discount for products that are not capable of upgrading to S2, such as those listed here. We also recently expanded the Upgrade Program to include some further products that are S2 compatible but are no longer sold on our store, such as the Play:1, Playbar and Playbase. These products are eligible for a 15% discount credit. You can find a full list of eligible products on our Upgrade Program page.

A 15% discount on the product does not mean that the product is not S2 compatible. The offer is there in case you would like to upgrade to one of the newer products currently available on our store. We’re not bricking, disabling or locking you out of using them, and it’s completely up to you if you would like to take up the offer or not.

I hope that clarifies things :slight_smile:

Wow, that section of the web site is broken. The actual list of compatible items has not changed, and is here:

I note that the 15% discount I am offered, on similar hardware to yours, is for S2-capable stuff. I have a 30% discount available for my S1-only hardware, which makes more sense.

I don’t think we have proof it is brolen.  @Barry McCockinner said originally that he had three devices that had the 15% offer - a Playbar and two Play;1s.  So the “You have 2 products in your system that are not compatible with the new app, Sonos S2.” may be referring to other devices.

But @controlav and @James L. have set out the true position anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The site says “You have 8 products in your system that are not compatible with the new app, Sonos S2“ and that is BROKEN (the same page says I have 5 that are “S1 only” which is correct).

It is offering me 15% discounts for my Playbars, Play:3s and Play:1s which is good but I don’t understand why. The “Upgrade” page lists those same seven devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It is very misleading to say the products are not compatible with S2. What it should say, based on @James L. ‘s comment above is “for your discontinued items we are offering you an incentive to buy current products”. 

I would concur that the ‘systems page...https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/  isn’t showing accurate numbers.  I am told that I have 2 products that are not compatible with S2.    

S1 products where 30% discount used/recycled = 3 (2 Connects, 1 Connect:Amp)

Bridge with 30% Boost credit = 1

S1/S2 products with 15% discount used = 6 ( 4 play:1, 2 play:3)

S1/S2 products without 15% discount applied  = 1 (playbar)

Only thing I can think of is that 2 Connects were recycled, but the Connect:amp and Bridge were upgraded after recycle program ended.  So although I have Connect:amp and Bridge still show up as active/not recycled on my account, even though they are not connected, and Sonos wants me to get rid of them. 

If that’s the case, it’s rather confusing.  The options are ‘Stay on S1’ which I could do I suppose.  ‘Upgrade’, which I already did.  ‘Remove S1 products’...which suggests I should remove them from the S2 app, which is already done.  So none of these options would change the number of products  from ‘2’ to zero.  To do that, the products need to be registered under someone else account, or shipped back to Sonos for recycling.

Userlevel 2

This is not a mistake. It is is confusion by design to trick longtime loyal customers into upgrading. The lack of respect for the installed base reveals itself continuously. Simply time to consider other options and reduce exposure. There are many ways to do so in 2021.Fool me once shame on you...