Could we get volume adjusting buttons in the S2 app

Badge

One of the main issues (except the samba 1 only support), is the difficulty to fine adjust the volume in the S2 app, sure you have the lever to pull, but it’s a lot of work to adjust one step. It had been nice is there had been a [-] and [+] in the S2 app to adjust the volume one step up or down.

Another thing I have an issue with regarding the volume, it seems like there are volume levels that are like mute, I have to pull up my volume to 5 before the speaker makes any sound at all and I can tell it’s not the most quiet volume on my Play:1’s, bit too loud for falling asleep to and I have disabled the loudness for the speaker pair (feels like when in pair the volume is a lot louder than if separated). Maybe this is a hardware issue and not a software issue, but I hope it’s the later for then it would be possible to fix it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sonos supports SMB3 on the S2 system.

You can change the volume up and down in single steps by tapping the volume bar. 

Badge

@John B thanks for notifying about the SMB

The tapping on the volumebar becomes impossible when you are at the end of the scale, I do have small fingers but still I will not be able to tap on the line left when the volume is down at 6 and I still have 4 and 5 to pick from. It works for mid range. I still rather have the buttons to press from, more logical and user friendly in my opinion too.

Have you tried using the volume limit feature, in the speaker’s room settings? It basically scales the volume slider so, for example, a limit figure of 50% means that when the slider is full right the speaker volume is only 50%.

The buttons are a reasonable request. But If I want to go from 6 to 5 I swipe left to zero then tap it up. I am not saying that is perfect but I do find it quick and satisfactory.

Badge

@ratty: yes, I’m aware of the volume limit, I have it down at 20%, more for protecting from having too high volume, the bad thing with the limit as I have noticed it, is that the lower you have the more volume steps you have that do not produce any sound at all, but that could depend on the old hardware.

@John B: That’s a workaround that could be used.

@ratty: yes, I’m aware of the volume limit, I have it down at 20%, more for protecting from having too high volume, the bad thing with the limit as I have noticed it, is that the lower you have the more volume steps you have that do not produce any sound at all, but that could depend on the old hardware.

Actually no. The issue is that the players won’t make a noise until the actual volume reaches at least 1%, and they appear to work internally in integer percentages.

So for example you have a scaling factor (volume limit) of 20% with a slider position of 4%. 20% * 4% = 0.8%. This gets rounded down (or truncated) to the nearest integer, i.e. zero. With a scaling factor of 20% you therefore need to be at least 5 clicks up on the slider (5%) to get any output.

Badge

@ratty: Thanks for clarifying that, I hope they will improve the volume and hopefully they abandon the whole integer stepping. I guess that is wishful dreaming.